Newbie Audio Question

If I purchase a recorder for my shotgun mic, like the H4N Zoom, can I go from the mic to the recorder and from the recorder to my Canon 60D, or is there something else I need?

If I can do this, is it the best way to record audio?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You could do that? Using a 3.5 plug out from the H4n to the camera's input jack (if it's got one.)

But why use the zoom, if you're letting the camera record the video and audio both? Just get a little preamp (with a 3.5 out) to catch the mic's signal and warm it up a little before it goes into the camera. Not to mention; the zoom will go through batteries way faster than a field preamp. So yet another reason not to use it. But don't get me wrong, I love my zoom h4n. I use it for ALL the time.

If you slate properly and keep detailed video and audio logs you shouldn't need to connect the audio recorder to the camera; you can use the camera audio as a sync track. Yeah, I know, everyone moans and complains about having to sync the audio, but that's how it's been done with films since "The Jazz Singer" and, when using film, is still done to this day. In fact, having a sync track from the camera gives you an advantage over those who use film.

Whoever is doing the booming and PSM work will find it liberating not to be tethered to the camera.

You should also consider the Tascam DR-100mkII as your audio recorder.

You could do that? Using a 3.5 plug out from the H4n to the camera's input jack (if it's got one.)

But why use the zoom, if you're letting the camera record the video and audio both? Just get a little preamp (with a 3.5 out) to catch the mic's signal and warm it up a little before it goes into the camera. Not to mention; the zoom will go through batteries way faster than a field preamp. So yet another reason not to use it. But don't get me wrong, I love my zoom h4n. I use it for ALL the time.
Okay, thanks. So forget connecting the h4n to the camera. But would you say getting maybe a Juicelinked preamp would be more effective and easier to use with a small crew than the h4n zoom?

If you slate properly and keep detailed video and audio logs you shouldn't need to connect the audio recorder to the camera; you can use the camera audio as a sync track. Yeah, I know, everyone moans and complains about having to sync the audio, but that's how it's been done with films since "The Jazz Singer" and, when using film, is still done to this day. In fact, having a sync track from the camera gives you an advantage over those who use film.

Whoever is doing the booming and PSM work will find it liberating not to be tethered to the camera.

You should also consider the Tascam DR-100mkII as your audio recorder.
I don't really know much about audio, so thanks for the info. Very helpful. And I'll check out the Tascam recorder.

Okay, thanks. So forget connecting the h4n to the camera. But would you say getting maybe a Juicelinked preamp would be more effective and easier to use with a small crew than the h4n zoom?

One record button is always easier. You might sacrifice a little in sound quality, but those are the tradeoffs we sometimes have to make.

Back