Newb looking for advice: cameras, editing, and PCs

I'm looking to get into filming, not sure where I'll go with it but especially looking at travel/adventure filming...more documentary style and mostly outdoors. I have decent experience taking stills with a canon dslr and a little experience editing with lightworks (because it was free).

I'm looking at getting a Canon 70D, as it's in my price range and seems solid for both photo and video. Also getting some pretty basic audio stuff. I'm wondering about lenses, the kit lenses seem decent but not sure what size I'll want for filming and the f/stop might be questionable for shooting in low light. My price range is 1.5-2k for camera/audio and all accessories/tripod etc.

I'm also getting a PC for editing (and some gaming). Can anyone point me towards the specs I should be considering for editing? Also, kinda lost on editing software...is lightworks good enough or should I go for something better?

I know I'm diving in over my head a bit, and I want a system that will give me room to expand. I've got some other ideas but trying to keep this short-ish so ask away if you want more info!

Thanks for any advice :)

- Simon

True, but most "new independent filmmakers" approach filmmaking as if sound were about 5% of the experience, unlike the OP who said that sound is "AT LEAST half the experience".

According to the OP, the ultimate minimum audio setup would be: A 4 channel recorder, a wired lav, a shotgun/short shotgun mic and a stereo mic. Which would rule out the H4n!

G

He was also talking about scraping by with cheap audio and I was offering a solution that a lot of people use.

I think your earlier wisdom was spot on:

"If you just want to practice with your camera for now, no problem; use the mic built into your camera and when you're ready to think about sound, use the money you'll have saved from not spending it on consumer toys now, add a bit extra and buy yourself something half decent."

Back