Newb FireWire question

i see a firewire port on the back of my computer but the computer is very close to my wall so i cant really look at how many pins there are.

computers have 6-pin ones, though, right? i need to decide whether or not to get a 4/4 connection or a 4/6 connection.

thanks. :D

Sony computers tend to have the 4 pin connector. Most other computers should have 6 pin connectors. The latest "Power Macs" will have both 6 pin (400 Mb) & 9 pin (800 Mb) connectors.

My PC has a 4 pin connector. If you can feel the shape of the port, a 4 pin will be a very small (like 3/8 inch) square port, and a 6 pin will be at least twice as large and is bullet shaped (square with one end notched outwards). Is it really that hard to move the computer away from the wall a few inches to look and be sure before you waste money?

Zensteve said:
Sure, your cable is going to have connectors on each end...

It's the devices at each end that matter.

4 to 4

4 to 6 (reversable)

No, What I was saying was the photo that shows both types of plugs male ends are on both ends of my cable. the 4 goes to the camera and the 6 to the firewire port in the computer.

I hope I wasnt confusing you. But are you saying that some cam corders have it the other way around? like the 4 pin is in the computer while the 6 pin is on the camera?

hehe.. this is reminding me of a Abbot and Costello skit :D

I don’t know of any camera that uses a 6pin, but many computer components do. The only difference between the 4 and 6, is that the extra two leads on the 6 carry a power charge, it doesn’t carry any additional information nor is it any faster.

Back