New World Cinema Movies

I'm looking for some world cinema.
I'm getting films from all the big names, Bergman, French new wave stuff, fritz Lang, warner herzog etc
Im looking for some slightly less well know stuff. Maybe artsy and dreamlike, but anything good is fine by me (:

By 'new' do you mean more modern?

If so I would recommend you Michael Maneke, Jaques Audiard, Thomas Alfredson, Abbas Kirostami (sp?), Ari Folman... if I think of some more, that I would recommend, I will add them...

Brilliant taste, Nick.

To save myself a list, i would firstly suggest for you to check at "Blockbuster". Suprisingly, their "World Cinema section" is quite the find. Five movies a week, a single pound each.

Once you've raided their collection, return to this very thread, and Nick and I will give an extensive list to see you through to 2034.

"Angel-A" is a sublime place to start.

Michael Haneke, Abbas Kiarostami

just corrected the spelling, apart from that I wholeheartedly agree with this post. both of these directors released new films relatively recently (The White Ribbon and Certified Copy, respectively)
if by "new" you mean contemporary filmmakers I would add Béla Tarr from Hungary (Werckmeister Harmonies is a good start, Satántangó his best known film runs for 7,5 hours, A Man From London, his most recent film, rather disappointed me)
other prominent directors that come to my mind right now would be Theo Angelopoulos from Greece (who has worked with Harvey Keitel among others) or Aki Kaurismäki from Finland (a big influence on Jarmusch's work).
since you mentioned Bergman I just want to add some other "classic" (more or less) European directors: Robert Bresson and Andrej Tarkowskij, the latter being my favorite director.

Last edited:
Thank you for the corrections bikkhu (I feel compelled to say that the first one was a typo :P )

In terms of surrealist world cinema the one that springs to mind is Bunuel, so if you haven't seen any of his work that would be what I'd recommend. Personally it doesn't do much for me, but a lot of modern surreal cinema descends from him.

Definitely a well known guy, but also definitely worth checking out if you haven't seen any of his work: Roberto Begnini. He's brilliant! Check out Life is Beautiful and The Tiger in the Snow

Back