series New series in the works

I'm currently in the process of creating 3D models and characters for an animated series that I have planned. Unlike my first series, which is science fiction (and is kind of on an indefinite hold right now), this one will be a comedy-drama about the lives of a widowed father and his son (both atheists, by the way), after they move to the fundamentally-religious beach town of Clover Beach, Florida. I've still got a lot of work to do on the models, before I can start on the first episode. I just thought I'd let everyone know about it.

By the way, if anyone knows how to keep a character model's bones from moving out of the character's body while trying to make the character walk in 3D Max, please let me know. It's probably something very simple, but, for the life of me, I can't seem to pin it down.

Well, what I want to do is make the bones stay inside the mesh, when I move it. It's kind of necessary in order to keep things working right.

are you using character studio or building your own IK structure?

How are you linking your Mesh to the bones? Does your mesh move or "jiggle" which exposes the bones?

Are the bones part of your character?

Basically you attach your mesh to the bones. Then when you move your bones the mesh moves too. For some reason, it seems as if you're moving the mesh instead of the bones, or the mesh isn't connected properly to the bones, or there may not be enough to meet the complexity of the mesh. There's really not a lot to go on.. Could you render an image and show us what you mean?

What version of MAX are you using?

I decided to not use a mesh or bones and just make the character out of several different objects and manipulate the appendages manually. Doing it that way will probably give better control, anyway. There's a bit of distortion when rotating limbs at the joints, but it's not that severe.

For your info, though, I was adding the bones individually because the biped in Character Studio won't fit the mesh.

I was linking them with the Skin modifier. The mesh moved away from the bones, which exposed them.

Nope, the bones weren't part of the character. They were just there to control it

I'll probably fiddle with it some more. If I happen to get it to work, then all will be good.

I'm using MAX 4.0.

Back