New Script

The next script I write I would like to have a partner to share the thought process to make the script go more easily. I am sure I could just as kpeople to read and help but I want to try the whole parter thing. I am open for any ideas. If your interested in talking please message me. Thanks, Jack Ryan

Just a question... What do you think you will acheive with writing with a partner?

I ask because of personal experiences with writing with others always went horrifically wrong. Everyone wanted to control the script in their own unique way, not the way I had originally envisioned it. Each character seemed to take on the bizarre personality quirks of the author, the story line went in completely different directions with each partner and we all argued until the cows came home about every little thing.

I don't mind listening to suggestions, but only if I'm the only writer. (This is why I've been working on one script for a few years now, but it's written just the way I want it.)

Just wondering...

A lot of this...

Loud Orange Cat said:
Just a question... What do you think you will acheive with writing with a partner?

I ask because of personal experiences with writing with others always went horrifically wrong. Everyone wanted to control the script in their own unique way, not the way I had originally envisioned it. Each character seemed to take on the bizarre personality quirks of the author, the story line went in completely different directions with each partner and we all argued until the cows came home about every little thing.

I don't mind listening to suggestions, but only if I'm the only writer. (This is why I've been working on one script for a few years now, but it's written just the way I want it.)

Just wondering...
Stems from simply not laying down the ground rules of the collaboration... This is especially important with writers who've never sold anything or had anything produced... Each party needs to know what the other brings to the table.

Sometimes it's nothing but being able to get the script in front of those who can make decisions... i.e., a Producer. Sometimes it's somebody who's strong on dialogue or character... Sometimes it's somebody who can write extremely visual.

Sometimes it's somebody who can take a fairly well honed draft and tell the writer what it needs to bring out the theme or to expand the stage...

Whatever it is, each party needs to know the other party's strengths as well as their weaknesses...

And, to be honest, don't take the other party's word for it! Ask for a reading sample. If the party doesn't have a reading sample, it's best to either move on or have that party create a reading sample BASED on what they claim their strengths to be.

Once each party verbally agrees to what the other party is to contribute, an agreement really should be drawn up UNLESS you know WITHOUT A DOUBT that you can trust the other party... Naturally, that's a huge "unless" and most writers should probably go ahead and drum up an agreement...

The Writer's Guild has an example Writer's Collaboration Agreement that you can use to fashion your own agreement...

Good luck!

filmy

In my opinion you can't be a stubborn prick. If you are open to the others ideas always and work something out then there should no be problem. Knightly is going to help me out with my show I am writing. He has gave nothing but support. If he has any suggestions for it I will listen to them and if I don't like them I will let him know and why. I am sure he will understand and it will be stomped there. Any other questions? Thanks for that one, Jack Ryan

I've had both ends of the deal with writing collaborations -- the good and the bad.

The bad end is working with a partner who isn't on the same wavelenght, can't pull their weight or isn't as skilled as they claim.

This is the relationship I had with my ex-business partner, who convinced me that he knew a lot more than he did and as a result we ended up with a screenplay that was structurally flawed. I wasn't experinced enough at that point to challenge his thinking and he didn't have the humility to admit he didn't know what he was doing. Disaster!

I think filmy is spot on with his take -- audition writing partners, make sure they can actually do what they claim -- and if both of you are inexperienced find someone who can give feedback on the project -- it's OK to develop together, as long as everyone keeps their egos in check and realises that it's OK to get scripts wrong.

(Actually this is true what ever stage you are at -- the further I get with this the more I value high quality input/feedback)

On the good side I've had some great writing partners over the years -- inspiring people who just help you spark ideas and who challenge you to do greater work, to think bigger and better. Writing with someone is my favourite way of working and over the years I've discovered that what I like to do is take responsibilty for getting the words on the page, with my partner contributing ideas, notes and alterations. Sort of like the relationship between an Architect and a Builder (I'm the builder).

About ten years ago I wrote about half a dozen spec sit-coms for the UK market with a writer called David Lines, who really opened me up to new ways of working and who challenged me to overcome my dyslexia and stop using it as an excuse! We got with a gnat's hair of getting a series commissioned on two separate occassions and now he's a massively sucessful author. We still talk, in fact he tried to drag me into a new co-write jsut last week and I had to pass (too busy).

I'm also collaborating on a feature project with another writer, right now -- and it's the cat's pyjammas -- never had so much fun and worked so hard on a project.

And that's the truth of writing partnerships -- if you're having fun, it's probably working!

Clive, you may be 'the builder' when you write, but you've been a great help to me on the structure and idea end of things on the feature I'm writing. The give and take, even on line across the Atlantic was hugely stimulating. You were a great sounding board for my off the cuff ideas and provided some key notes on the theme as well. I've thanked you before and I will continue to do so.

My husband and I often write together too and when you hit 'the zone', it is just wonderful. The momentum built when two people are on the same wavelength can carry you through the doldrums when the scenes aren't rolling out of you as you'd like. I just remember the 'gab session', check my notes, put my head down and keep going. :) I am not that experienced a screenwriter, but the process is among the most invigorating and creative I've enjoyed.

Have fun! :)

Back