• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch New Promo Video

Hello!
This is my new video I have made for my local boxing gym.
Would be great for you guys to watch it and share some feedback.
Best Regards,
Pedro

Hi Pedro!

Technically, it's all good - fast-paced editing, in close with the camera, sharp focus, the 'right' lighting for the shots, good balance between ambient sound and music. Artistically, though, it's a bit flat and unbalanced: there's a sort of an intro with the coach talking to the boxers, then a long, long, long sequence of them landing punches on each other and ... well, that's it. There's no story - nothing inspirational or promotional about it.

If it's meant to be a promo video for the club, I'd re-edit it to break up the fight sequence and intercut the coach's comments. This mightn't be logical from the point of view of the training, but that's not the point - what you're doing is transferring the coach's pep talk from the two guys in the ring to the people watching the video. Also: I'd take that text from the walls and lay it over the video at some point. Depending on your software and digital compositing skills, you could have each line of text enter the frame at a time, highlighted, coordinated with the on-screen action, perhaps matched up to the coach's comments ... Again, you're taking something from the on-site physical reality of the club and presenting it to your virtual audience.

If, on the other hand, this is a mini-documentary, or meant to show a match, or be a story about two fighters ... then there's a lot of work needed on the narration/commentary/screenplay. 😉

Hi Pedro!

Technically, it's all good - fast-paced editing, in close with the camera, sharp focus, the 'right' lighting for the shots, good balance between ambient sound and music. Artistically, though, it's a bit flat and unbalanced: there's a sort of an intro with the coach talking to the boxers, then a long, long, long sequence of them landing punches on each other and ... well, that's it. There's no story - nothing inspirational or promotional about it.

If it's meant to be a promo video for the club, I'd re-edit it to break up the fight sequence and intercut the coach's comments. This mightn't be logical from the point of view of the training, but that's not the point - what you're doing is transferring the coach's pep talk from the two guys in the ring to the people watching the video. Also: I'd take that text from the walls and lay it over the video at some point. Depending on your software and digital compositing skills, you could have each line of text enter the frame at a time, highlighted, coordinated with the on-screen action, perhaps matched up to the coach's comments ... Again, you're taking something from the on-site physical reality of the club and presenting it to your virtual audience.

If, on the other hand, this is a mini-documentary, or meant to show a match, or be a story about two fighters ... then there's a lot of work needed on the narration/commentary/screenplay. 😉
Hey!
Thank you very much for the great feedback, I'm really grateful for it.
Your point on the artistic side of the video makes total sense, and adding the coach's pep talk/comments throughout the fighting would definitely improve the inspirational/promotional aspect of the video.
I'm still getting to grips with editing using visual effects and will certainly start developing my digital compositing skills and implement them in my next videos.
Thanks again for the feedback!

Back