New portable HD camcorder

Hi, experts!

I'm researching small, easily portable HD camcorders that sets up quickly for random shooting, but shoots motion picture quality video for pick up shots, etc. I've been using the Canon HV-30 for years and love the picture quality for a $300-400 camera.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

If you want "motion picture quality video for pick up shots", you might want to consider the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera ($995 new, $870.62 used).

This camera has been used on several big budget features.

Cinematographer Ben Davis used it extensively on Avengers: Age of Ultron.

DP Slawomir Idziak used it on Natalie Portman's first feature, an adaptation of Amos Oz' A Tale of Love and Darkness.

Below $1000, this camera is the closest you're going to get to the latitude, bit depth and RAW gradeability of a Hollywood motion picture.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Black magic cameras are great (the full line of 'em) but to really be useful require at least double the cost of the camera when you get the other support gear necessary to actually use them.

Not to be a pain, but is there some basic peripherals you would recommend for the Blackmagic pocket cam? I don't want to slow things down and hopefully fit it all in a small bag.

Not to be a pain, but is there some basic peripherals you would recommend for the Blackmagic pocket cam? I don't want to slow things down and hopefully fit it all in a small bag.

You're not being a pain. The hardest part of buying a new camera is figuring out what to buy so you can actually shoot with it :)

After I bought the camera, I spent a few dollars and added a $26.59 pistol grip, a $152 LCD viewfinder and a $9.83 cold shoe to make the camera a lot easier to use. Here is a pic of the setup with my Oly 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 lens and Panasonic MA-1 adapter:

P1020575.JPG

To give you enough battery power to shoot all day and add a pro mic connection will cost you another $139.

The Sony L batteries I use are less than $10 each and my dual battery charger was $19.99.

With this setup, you will have a compact, handheld RAW/ProRes video camera with pro mic inputs, a headphone jack, lots of battery power and a powered interchangeable lens mount for less than $1500 (plus lenses).

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your new camera!

Last edited:
Got one of these Blackmagic pocket cinema cameras coming from Amazon. Wanted to go into my local camera store to get a lens or two for it. Any recommendations for inexpensive ($200-300) general purpose lenses I should get?

I did not get the pistol grip, I almost always take my tripod with.

Brunerww and others, thank you for the recommendations. Got my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cmaera - lenses haven't arrived yet, so haven't been able to do much.

I was wondering what you do about sound? Are you using a separate sound recorder or plugging mic into cam?

Brunerww and others, thank you for the recommendations. Got my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Cmaera - lenses haven't arrived yet, so haven't been able to do much.

Glad I could help and congratulations on the new camera!

I was wondering what you do about sound? Are you using a separate sound recorder or plugging mic into cam?

I do both. Here is how I use my BMPCC with a $179.99 Tascam DR-60D external recorder:

lmysk6rlQpuGG0Ek367vHteIoPSz4Mow_ln5oOS-PmE=w844-h633-no

I screw my pistol grip into the bottom of the recorder and the camera onto the top and I'm ready to shoot.

Again, hope this is helpful!

Last edited:
Back