NEW Online Episodic Storytelling Experiment

Hello All,

I recently started a small episodic production that gives the audience more control over how the story line should be constructed and flow from piece to piece. This will hopefully give me some insight in a new way of film making and storytelling, and see if it is possible to give the audience this kind of control, while preserving my creative aspirations.

watch the first two episodes here:

http://johnnywoods.blip.tv/#754571

then proceed to the forum to suggest topics for episode 3.0:

http://jwhin.proboards54.com

Thank you!

Josh

Someone else already put this in your website's comments, but I really think that the "audience input" portion needs to be streamlined.

As opposed to "comments" (which, if it takes off really big will become hard to follow and of too many opinions), maybe try a set of Polls...

Johnny Dials the number on the cellphone and someone picks up... who should it be?
a) A transvestite
b) A really smart dolphin and his friend, Frodo
c) himself, in another dimension!
d) his ex girlfriend, Luella, and she's gotten new breasts for him and the BABY(???)
e) the evil South American lawn gnome cartel
f) Montezuma.. and he wants his REVENGE!

It's like Mad-Libs. So that way, you can still control all the nouns and verbs and sentence structure, but the audience gets to specify the adverbs. If you don't make it a poll, you'll get a million wacky results pointing in different directions, and because you can really only pick ONE way, everyone who was WAY off will be disappointed and harbor resentment towards you.

You could always ACCEPT comments, so you can screen through them and pick only the ones that you like, but having a poll would keep the ball in your court a bit... and since audiences generally WATCH things, they usually don't know how to tell a story. If left up to the audience, everything would end with a car chase, fight, lightsaber battle, sex scene and dance sequence. At least, if left up to ME it would.

Video games are a great example... if you look back into old school games like Sierra's Police Quest and Police Quest 2, you had to TYPE everything you wanted to do into the computer. Like if you wanted to get the keys to your car, you'd have to just find them in the game and physically type "PICK UP KEYS". There was no spellcheck, and if an item was named something like "LOAF" and you typed "BREAD", it wouldn't tell you the answer and you were screwed.
But you look at how most games do it now, if there's dialog... take Fallout 2 or Oblivion.... you're given choices of what to ask about or what to say and you pick the one that best suits your character... you can say "Yes, I'd love to help", "Maybe, but what's in it for me?", "No, fuck off you bloody pervert!" or even "No, but I've got a friend who's into that...".... options that are necessary because of the complicated programming involved but still allow the gamer to make choices that reflect how he wants to play.

So in turn, since filmmaking is a complicated endeavor, I'd say multiple choice is the way to go.... audience at least gets control of the direction you head in, while you still get to design where those directions head to... that way if 90% of the audience wants the main character to get eaten by an elephant, you won't be stuck with finding an elephant or loosing your viewers who become disenchanted when they don't get their elephant. I mean, bloody hell, who DOESN'T want an elephant!!! I WANT ONE!

Ahem. Anyway, polls. Polls are good. Except election polls in Florida or Ohio.

Back