New here...

Hey everyone,

I was meaning to get to this sooner but my day job and recently shooting a music video has kept me away. I have some time now so I wanted to say hello.

I was enlightened to this site by Peter John Ross of sonnyboo.com. What brought me to this site was selfish promotion of the film fest I am working on located in Chicago (The Chicago "Really" Short Film Fest). I created the fest last year in order to showcase my work.

At the time I had two short films that were in post porduction and I wanted a venue to show the films off for the cast and crew, but I didn't want to invite everyone out for a half hour of screen time. The films were 15 and 12 minutes each. I wanted to make a night out of it. I wanted live music, drinking, food, in short I wanted it to be a fun night. So I thought "lets do it".

Lets have some fun, listen to bands, show my films and the films of others and make a night out of it. It was a great night! Everyone from the filmmakers, to the bands, to the people that helped me out and especially the audiance made it work. Right after we were done with the show we were asked to make a return the following year...and here I am trying to spread the word to as many filmmakers as I can.

As for me, I am one of those shlops who didn't go to film school. My production partner and I thought about going to film school but we thought lets use the time and money to just shot a film, and so we did. Our first film was a feature shot on 16mm. What better way to learn than to go in and get your hands dirty? Since then I've been or worked on other productions from feature films, to shorts, to music videos. And I'm still learning!

Well that's me in a nut shell.

Rick

Hello, Rick! :hi:

Sounds like your film-show thing went over pretty well. Do you plan on doing the followup one? There's an Events forum (and the Calendar thing) for getting the word out, when it's time to start plugging the setails and website for it. :)

Any chance you'll be plopping last year's films online for the Screening Room?

Hands-on experience is certainly worth its weight in gold, indeed.

Zensteve said:
Sounds like your film-show thing went over pretty well. Do you plan on doing the followup one? There's an Events forum (and the Calendar thing) for getting the word out, when it's time to start plugging the setails and website for it. :)

Ummmmm...Zen, I hate to pint out your mistakes, but...

Poke

Poke said:
Ummmmm...Zen, I hate to pint out your mistakes, but...

Poke

You know the punishment for pointing out my (never happens) mistakes...

Here it is...

...any second now....

smiley_bounce.gif
smiley_bounce.gif
smiley_bounce.gif

Take that!

Poke said:
Ummmmm...Zen, I hate to pint out your mistakes, but......

good one :lol:
Zensteve - what are those things saying? is it by any chance 'mummys gone away' - thats what i got.
where do u get these things from?!? I had nightmares last night..........cheers :no:

and welcome rick! :yes:

Last edited:
Zensteve said:
Hello, Rick! :hi:

Any chance you'll be plopping last year's films online for the Screening Room?

Hands-on experience is certainly worth its weight in gold, indeed.

Actually I have posted a call for entries on the events forum...

http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=21811#post21811

....but I didn't want to spam this forum with posts that should be elsewhere.

I didn't give thought to the calendar though thanks for the idea.

As for "last year's films online for the Screening Room?"

I actually wanted to host the films we selected for the fest on my site last year for online view after the fest was over. I still do. I got the ok from some filmmakers while others said no because they were submitting to other film festivals that don't take films that are being or have been "exhibited or distributed".

By the way, what's up with that? I thought the idea of film festivals was to help promote films.

Anyway, I was trying out the new Flash video codec in FlashMX and I was having problems getting it to work. I should have just hosted them on Windows Media or Quicktime but Flash had the promise of smaller file sizes, instant streaming, and an 80% plus install base.

I'll see if I can get the ones online that I got the ok to show last year.

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Rick

Hi there!

I wasn't sure if I deserve to be here =) I'm pretty new to all this and i'm not sure if have anything much to share that you guys know already. We don't get a lot of indie films back here, so i've only seen a few. I would love to see more indie films, perhaps from the work you guys have done and learn from them. I've been reading some posts and I'm learning a lot from everyone's thoughts =)

I know i have a long way to go, but i figured, everyone has to start somewhere =) and someday, I would love to produce my own indie film too =)

Hope to make friends with you guys =)

Thanks!

catherine

catherine cortez said:
Hi there!

I wasn't sure if I deserve to be here =) I'm pretty new to all this and i'm not sure if have anything much to share that you guys know already.

Catherine!
smiley_fatcat.gif

You would be surprised at the range of people here on IndieTalk... and there is room for all of them :yes:

Some here are in the industry for a career, others (such as myself) are pursuing a somewhat serious hobby, and yet even more are fighting to establish their respective niches in the film-world.

If you have questions about anything (no matter how trivial you think it may seem to others), this is the place to get an answer... or at least an opinion.

everyone has to start somewhere

Take that first step, and let the journey begin.

:cool:

Welcome Catherine. Like Zen said, this place is chock full of every kind of filmmaker imaginable, there's always room for one more.

Have you checked out the trailer for Cavite? It was shot in the Phillipines. I personally can't wait to check it out.

Poke

Back