New Editing Machine

Sorry but I am a little excited and just had to post. I have been saving to build an editing machine for a while now. I finally got all my parts and a friends is assembling it for me as we speak. The following list is what is being assembled,

Dokker VM600M1W2Z ATX Mid Tower

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply

ASRock 890GX EXTREME4 AM3 AMD 890GX HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz Six-Core Boxed Processor

ZOTAC ZT-40201-10P GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Graphics Card

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Universal CPU Cooler

(2) Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD1002FAEX - OEM (set up as RAID)

(4) Patriot PSD34G13332H Signature PC10600 4GB DDR3 Memory (16GB RAM)

(3) Pro Series Double Ball Bearing Cooling Fan

Asus DRW-24B1ST 24X Internal DVD Burner

Windows 7 Home Premum 64 Bit

Should be a smoker. Now I just need to get Adobe Premier CS5, install it and learn how to use it. Anyone have any links to instructional videos?

Any other suggestions or comments?

Last edited:
That setup looks like it has alot of numbers and letter in it - pretty sure that's good :P

We'll focus on the 2 really important ones here:

- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz Six-Core Boxed Processor
NICE!
-ZOTAC ZT-40201-10P GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Graphics Card
Also very nice :)

The 1Tb of drive space will be eaten up rather quickly, so you may want to start planning to get more eventually, that case should have the space/power/cooling for it.

The 16Gb of RAM should serve you well in just about anything you want to tackle!

Have fun :)

That setup looks like it has alot of numbers and letter in it - pretty sure that's good :P

We'll focus on the 2 really important ones here:

- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz Six-Core Boxed Processor
NICE!
-ZOTAC ZT-40201-10P GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5 PCIe 2.0 x16 Graphics Card
Also very nice :)

The 1Tb of drive space will be eaten up rather quickly, so you may want to start planning to get more eventually, that case should have the space/power/cooling for it.

The 16Gb of RAM should serve you well in just about anything you want to tackle!

Have fun :)

Well said! :D

That does sound like an impressive setup! :)

Thanks for the input, gang. I am wondering, is external storage a viable option?

Sure, you should have plenty of SATA ports left on your motherboard for an eSATA, but it looks like you need another internal drive for your OS and editing software anyway to keep the golden rule of having your OS and project files on separate drives. I would do that and have an eSATA external for finished projects and back-ups.

Just to add my .02.

I did the math and it's cheaper to go out and buy a Blu-Ray burner and then to buy the 50GB disks. Then when you finish a project you can archive everything and you will have your 1TB as RAM-type space.

I recommend, even though with that system you won't need it, using a SATA for all your scratch disks and temp files. The throughput to a SATA is ultra fast and faster then even USB 3.0. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Hope this helps.

Also, if you don't close out the Blu-Ray you can keep putting your raw footage onto it until it fills up. Then close out the disk and you never have to eat up your HD's with the raw footage which will never change so you don't have to worry about wasting a blu-ray disk!

Instag8r,

Grats on the new set up.

I recently purchased a new beast as well. Bought an imac and maxed out everything except for ram. I only upped the RAM to 8GB.

I also purchased CS5 production premium. The imac destroys anything I throw at it. I edit uncompressed T2i footage at full HD in premiere and it doesn't flinch at all. Premiere is such a breeze to work with and if you make the purchase I think you'll be more than pleased. They have simple preset settings if you plan on dumping out your project for the net (youtube, vimeo, etc.) I dig it.

Hope everything works out for you!

Maybe I meant native. What's the diff?

A techie difference. Uncompressed means no codec at all and the files are about a gig a minute (or bigger), and the H.264 codec is highly compressed and hard to edit with unless you have a super processor and a lot of RAM. So, obviously you have a great computer to hand H.264 natively.

Truly uncompressed files are the hardest thing on the planet to work with, and they do that for 2K and 4K film scans for the digital intermediate process, but those are damn intense computers that are tricked out as superstations. If a basic mac or PC could handle those now, I'd be really blown away.

Back