• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Neon blinking light?

Hey guys,

I'm having a scene in a windowed office for my next short and I want it to be a seedy type office, with a flashing neon sign's light (out of frame) spilling through the windows. So I'm wondering will a neon sign be enough to give me the light or should I just set up some red floodlights or something? Thanks for any advice.

If it were me, I wouldn't depend on the light from the neon sign. I'm not sure what cam you'd be using, but if it has a shutter that you can not switch off, the neon light will fluxuate from bright to dim.

The only problem I forsee with using omnis or floods, is color matching...but that's something you could possibly worry about in post.

Poke

Since it's supposed to be light from a neon bulb outside your seedy office locale, I'd think color matching is not at all important.

Personally I'd probably use a flood, and a bit of diffusion (neon light is pretty diffuse) with whatever color you're after. You might also consider using another lamp with a blue gel (to simulate 'night') and fire it through a cookie to help sell that this flashing red light is coming through a window..

Since the diffused light of the neon probably wouldn't really cast much shadow. Ultimately however, you'd do well to have some kind of establishing shot from outside that shows us there's a neon light outside the window of that seedy office, then when we see the flashing red in the interior shot, it'll make sense, and we'll just accept it.

Anyhoo, here's some good info on cookies.

We're shooting 16mm full frame Vision 2, so color but then in post I will desaturate for B&W. Its a 1940's detective film and I'll make a decision after I see the color footage whether or not I truly want to make it B&W, desaturate and do some secondary color correction (I have a reason to as there is a single prop I would like to highlight) or go completely color.

I'm thinking I want Red, because I'm going to be shooting on probably 500asa stock at F4 and I need to minimize blue to keep grain in check, although I'm planning on small amount of light coming from the other window to be slightly blue gelled.

If it were me, I wouldn't depend on the light from the neon sign. I'm not sure what cam you'd be using, but if it has a shutter that you can not switch off, the neon light will fluxuate from bright to dim.

The only problem I forsee with using omnis or floods, is color matching...but that's something you could possibly worry about in post.

Poke

Thanks Poke, I agree it might not be enough light, also actually you bring up a very interesting point about the pulsing effect. I wanted to have a very small amount of pulsing just to add a little extra life to this otherwise static lighted set. Maybe I should do both, but have a neon that can be seen in frame and then shoot a red floodlight or two past it or throw a 1k with a gel on it? That should create enough spill into the room.

Since it's supposed to be light from a neon bulb outside your seedy office locale, I'd think color matching is not at all important.

Exactly, I'm going for that colored spill effect. Should look great on a closeup. And really to have the red of the neon and blue of the night should look great.

Personally I'd probably use a flood, and a bit of diffusion (neon light is pretty diffuse) with whatever color you're after. You might also consider using another lamp with a blue gel (to simulate 'night') and fire it through a cookie to help sell that this flashing red light is coming through a window..

Since the diffused light of the neon probably wouldn't really cast much shadow. Ultimately however, you'd do well to have some kind of establishing shot from outside that shows us there's a neon light outside the window of that seedy office, then when we see the flashing red in the interior shot, it'll make sense, and we'll just accept it.

Anyhoo, here's some good info on cookies.

Thanks for that a bunch. your suggestion and my recent viewing of that picture again has convinced me to add some diffusion, probably on the window itself.

Not sure what shape on a cookie i would go with though... I might not use one, but I'll think about it.

thanks again for the suggestions, it gives me some things to think about.

One thing I'm looking forward to soon is working with a DP who can help me with these things! :D

This is kind of what Im going for:

Attachments

• vertigo46.jpg
    vertigo46.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 104
  • vertigo49.jpg
    vertigo49.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 108
  • vertigo50.jpg
    vertigo50.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 105
  • vertigo51.jpg
    vertigo51.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Ask friends if they have any neon beer signs in their den and put them on an auto-switch, close the thin curtains and tada, instant lighting. My concern is to find curtains that aren't so thin, you can read the blinking brand name.

I picked up a neon Jagermeister sign at a flea market for ten bucks. It worked for ten minutes until I went to move it and I dropped it. :cry:

In those scenes it looks like there were the outdoor sign and then some off screen aimed up to the window. being a neon person I like it, if you can just get some clear tubes filled with neon it will look more orange in a shot but would probably be bright enough for a spill effect. If you want it to be saturated red, pick a darker red, such as a phospor or colored glass tube and then use a red fill light.

Back