Need Sound Editor, Boom Op, Gaffer, Scripty for 48HFP in Louisville, KY July 25-27

Rules of the competition state that all team members must be volunteers, so this is a NON-Paid gig-- just food, credit, and a chance to see your work on the big screen. I will pay your contest entry fee. You will also receive one free copy of NewBlueFX's Film Color plug-in (a $59 value). The competition also issues the following awards for each city:
Best Use of Character
Best Use of Prop
Best Use of Line
Best Use of Louisville
Best Costumes
Best Choreography
Best Special Effects
Best Graphics
Best Sound Design
Best Musical Score
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Acting
Best Writing
Best Directing
Runner Up for Best Film
Best Film

More details are available online at http://www.48hourfilm.com/en/louisville/

The positions I need to fill include:

Sound Editor
Sound designer in charge of the post-production sound; functions as Dialogue Editor responsible for assembling and editing all the dialog in the soundtrack; as well as Sound Editor duties, responsible for finding, acquiring, assembling, and editing all the sound effects in the soundtrack; and the Foley Artist is the person who creates many of the ambient or routine sound effects and finalizes the films audio track.

Gaffer/Chief Lighting Technician/Key Grip/Head Electrician/Key Grip
Someone with experience setting up and controlling lighting equipment. Works with the Director of Photography to help set up the set and to achieve correct lighting, rigging, gels, scrims, nets, and blocking. This person is also responsible for organizing the grip equipment throughout the day and making sure all lights aren't on the same breaker, that cables do not cross in a manner that interfere with audio, that all lights are sandbagged for safety, and that no stingers will cause a tripping hazard. On a larger set, these jobs would be separate and distinct, but on this shoot, one person will be in charge of all sparky, grip, & gaffer duties.

Production Sound Mixer/Boom Operator
This person is the entire sound department on set, responsible for recording all sound during filming. This involves the choice and deployment of microphones, operation of the sound recording device, the mixing of audio signals in real time, pulling cables, and using the boom pole for silent and proper microphone placement and movement during filming.

Key Hair and Make-up Artist
Under supervision of Production Designer, is responsible for planning all cosmetic makeup, body makeup and special effects makeup designs for all leading and supporting cast. Duties also include keeping a record of hair, makeup, and wardrobe continuity-- as well as being responsible for maintaining and styling the hair, including wigs and extensions, of anyone appearing on screen. This person will need to supply all of her or his own supplies.

Script Supervisor
Also known as the continuity person, (or Scripty) the Script Supervisor keeps track of what parts of the script have been filmed and makes notes of any deviations between what was actually filmed and what appeared in the script. They will feed actors their lines and they must notes on every shot to record what takes a re good what takes are bad, and and keep track of props, blocking, and other details to ensure continuity from shot to shot and scene to scene. The Script Supervisor's notes are given to the Editor to expedite the editing process.

Composer
Responsible creating (writing the musical score) or integrating (obtaining royalty-free music online for) all of the film's music.

Craft Service/Catering
Provides food and beverages to all the other departments or "crafts." (The crafts in film refers to departments such as camera, sound, electricians, grips, props, art director, set decorator, hair and makeup, etc.) In addition to policing the set to make sure everyone has snacks and water, they provide buffet style food, snacks, and drinks. This person also gets and serves the regular hot sit down meals that occur every six hours. Producer will pay for all food, but someone else needs to be in charge of picking it up and serving it.

Production Designer/Art Director/Set Designer/Set Decorator/Set Dresser/Props Master/Costume Supervisor/Graphic Artist
This person is responsible for creating the visual appearance of the film - settings, costumes, character makeup, etc. Person in charge of the decorating of a film set, which includes the furnishings and all the other objects that will be seen in the film. Is in charge of finding, building, buying, and managing all the props that appear in the film. These include any item handled by an actor that is not part of the scenery or costumes, and all consumable food items that appear on screen. Purchases anything needed for the film. Makes sure the required prop(s) are present. Responsible for placing and removing the "dressing", i.e., furniture, drapery, carpets, plants, wall signs, vinyl decals, etc. This person is responsible for all the clothing and costumes worn by all the actors that appear on screen, supervises the sourcing and organizing of garments. responsible for the design and creation of all graphic elements, including: signs, billboards, posters, logos, nameplates, and automotive-wrapping — that are created specifically for the film. They will often create several versions of a design, the preferred of which then being chosen by the Production Designer. On this production, they will design and print all printed items, such as signs, posters, fliers, receipts, bills of sale, or other graphic needs of the production. Producer will pay for all props we will need to buy and all printing we will need, but the Production Designer will need to get everything done and on set by Saturday morning.

Lighting Technician/Electric/Grip
Helps with setting up and positioning lighting equipment, holds bounce boards, other tasks as needed. Wrangles extension cords. Maybe even function as dolly grip as well.

First Assistant Camera
The 1st AC (Focus Puller) is responsible for keeping the camera in focus as it is shooting. If we don't have a 2ndAC, the First will also clap slate.

Dolly Grip
Right now, we have neither dolly nor jib, but if I can secure them, someone will be in charge of operating the camera dollies and camera cranes is called the Dolly Grip. They place, level, and move the dolly track, then push and pull the dolly, and usually a Camera Operator and Camera Assistant as riders.

Color Correction and Grading
Experienced person will need to supply their own equipment.

Production Assistant
A Production Assistant assists the first assistant director with set operations. Production assistants, almost always referred to as PAs, also assist in the production office with general tasks. Basically, this is a job for anyone who is willing to hang around and do whatever is needed to help.

Send me a private message here or email me at chris dot skidmore at aya dot yale dot edu if any of these might appeal to you and if you are free the weekend of July 25-27, 2014.

The equipment (thus far) that I know I can supply includes:

Boom Op/PSM
I will provide a Sennheiser MKH 50 hypercardiod mic for indoor recording, and for outdoors I have a Rode NTG-3 shotgun. I have a 9′ boompole, a rode blimp with deadcat, and a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones. I have a SoundDevices 702 that you can record dual channel with different levels on each.

Gaffer
I will supply a tungsten set that includes a junior2k, a baby650, and a mini200-- all mole-richardson fresnels and stands for them. For extremely soft light I will also provide a cheap "CowboyStudio 4500 Watt Photo Studio Lighting Softbox Video Light Kit" (each of the 15 bulbs is an 85W CFL... 300W equiv w/ 5,600 lumens... and each of the three fixtures support five bulbs each-- so each softbox is a 1500W-equivalent source with really short throw).

Sound Editor
I don't have a real DAW, I just have adobe Audition cs6 on a Windows 7 64bit, with Intel i7
4.5GHz processor, and 32 Gig DDR3, a 240GB SSD, four Western Digital 1TB 7200rpm SATAs in 2 Raid 0 config, GeForce GTX 670 card, w/a Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle Capture Device, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for audio, one Asus PA248Q 24" video monitor, with two KRK RP8 speakers.

Hair and Make-up Artist
This person will need to supply all of her or his own supplies.

Composer
This person will need to supply all of her or his own equipment.

Send me a private message here or email me at chris dot skidmore at aya dot yale dot edu if any of these might appeal to you and if you are free the weekend of July 25-27, 2014.

Does anyone live near KY that has any experience as a gaffer or a boom-op? I am also just going to produce and run camera for this project. I am now opening up the position of Director.

So far, we have secured very talented writers, camera operators, a great editor, a good DP, and good composers. We have excellent on-screen talent as well.

We are still seeking someone who can serve as director for this 4-7minute film, and someone who has experience as a gaffer, and we need someone who knows how to properly position a boom.

If you could pass this message along to anyone who might have the skills to fill any of these positions, I would be grateful, indeed.

We are going to write, shoot, and edit a 4 minute short in just 48 hours July 25-27th. The work that can happen prior to the "Official 48 Hour Time Period" is:
Organizing Crew
Organizing Cast
Securing Equipment
Scouting/Securing Locations

In each city, at the Kickoff Event, the organizers of the event will draw a character, a prop and a line of dialogue out of a hat. These elements must appear in your film in some way. All teams will have the same required elements. For example, everyone in the competition across the entire city will have to incorporate a tennis racquet, or they might have to incorporate a pair of hoop earrings, or a snow globe. It could be anything. And each team will have to make a film with the same line of dialogue, like "Is that the best you've got?' or "I was lied to and very much deceived." or "When you say it like that, it's almost poetry." or whatever else they dream up. Everyone in the city will also have to incorporate a particular name and profession into the finished piece somehow. The city might be assigned Bitsy
Ballou: Advice Columnist, or Ignazio del Fuego: Cab Driver, or Hugh Simon: Bouncer or anything you could imagine. Teams do draw different genres, however, though some teams will have the same genres as others. At the Kickoff Event at 6pm at Molly Malone's in the Highlands, each team will draw one of these genres from a hat:

Comedy
Dark Comedy
Drama
Film Noir
Film de Femme
Fish Out of Water
Horror
Musical or Western
Road Movie
Romance
Sci Fi
Silent Film
Thriller/Suspense
Time Travel

A full list of rules is available online at: http://www.48hourfilm.com/en/filmmakers/rules-official.php

My schedule for making it happen is as follows:

-- 7pm Friday team members receive genre and outline the story

-- All night Friday, writers pound out a final script

-- Saturday morning: call for actors, HMA, gaffer, crew (loooong day of shooting) editor starts logging, grading and cutting as footage comes in. composer begins score and sound design

-- Sunday morning, lock the cut. mix dialogue, music, foley

-- 7pm Sunday turn in finished DVD

August 6th or 7th: Watch our product on the silver screen at Village 8 Theaters, 4014 Dutchmans Lane

To give you an idea of what other groups have done, here are some examples of ones that have won past competitions in other cities:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWhBU-JFek4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oMg-gFo-Qs
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16d0oh_le-metronome-de-l-equipe-ca-va-le-faire_shortfilms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C17Xm0p702c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh540uYskB0

Judges make the following awards to participating teams:

Best Use of Character
Best Use of Prop
Best Use of Line
Best Use of Louisville
Best Costumes
Best Choreography
Best Special Effects
Best Graphics
Best Sound Design
Best Musical Score
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Acting
Best Writing
Best Directing
Runner Up for Best Film
Best Film

We have a 12 year old on our team, and we have a 45 yr-old-actor on our team who has been in five Hollywood movies and was on a Soap Opera for years. If you know of a very talented student-- even someone like that would be welcome as a director on our team. The Boom-Op can use my my Sennheiser MKH 50 hypercardiod mic for indoor shooting, and for outdoors I have a Rode NTG-3 shotgun. I have a 9′ boompole, a rode blimp with wombat cover, and a pair of Sony MDR-7506 headphones. The dialogue will all be recorded separately to my SoundDevices 702. The gaffer can use our tungsten fresnels as well.

So, do you know anyone who could make a great Director, Boom-Op, or Gaffer?

Back