• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Need some honest feedback on this quick "horror" short. :)

This was a quickly put together short that unfortunately (due to time constraints) fell a little short in quality. However, I feel like we did do some things right. Constructive criticism is VERY welcome, as we're trying to become a little more serious with our videos. Thanks! Also, looking forward to being part of this community!

PS, this was our first video using a go pro, and we realized after filming that we probably shouldn't have mounted it right over the wheel well. Lesson learned!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9q9ltFdJk

Last edited:
1) You admit the short fell short in quality, yet you posted it in here anyway. If you're not going to post the very best you can do, why should you expect anyone to watch it?

2) Your opening credits ran 1:05 -- it shouldn't be more than :03 and just the title only.

Quit watching at 1:06. Re edit your film and post something you're proud of.

tumblr_mnh3zjbvWZ1rjgcvdo1_500.gif

Welcome to IndieTalk! :cool:

Sorry, but I have to agree with Guerrilla Angel.

The credits are too long.
The audio sounds really strange.
The opening scene in the car was too dark.
The vignette looks like a video effect you threw on last minute.
Like all movies, the characters aren't very intelligent and the story is - unoriginal.
The day for night scene is too saturated. It looks very artificial.
The ending is very anti-climatic.
There's not much tension.

The credits looked nice.
There were some cool shots.
There were some creepy moments.
The acting isn't terrible.
The music was good.

Keep on filming! :welcome:

I sometimes flick through a short to determine if it is worth watching - since time is always precious.

You had a lot of low-light scenes in which the light was so poor (early/late evening, just natural light in the woods) that I struggled to see what was happening. That killed it for me so I didn't watch it all.

Critique

I thought it is a good job shooting it all with just the go pro, and shows that the very best camera's available aren't completely necessary to shoot a good film, or tell a great story.

I agree with everyone, the title sequence/credits is too long.

I like the car mount shot on the side of the truck at the beginning but I think it would be cool to use that shot and have more L cuts with the audio, like where you can hear inside the truck but not see the characters yet, then cut to reveal the characters.

The conversation cutting back and fourth is a little tedious it would have been nice to have some other angels, like try a hood mount facing inside if you can pull it off. Also have b-roll to possibly use in editing example: passing signs or the sun going down, or maybe a crow on a perch going "Cah" < crow noise

The edges of the frame are all dark, I'm guessing that is an editorial decision, which in this case maybe helps if the original picture if its shaky or whatever, but in most films I feel that sort of thing takes away from the picture because the viewer is distracted by it.

It looks like you ran into the problem of sun going down and having no lighting at night... Next time be prepared with the lighting. At very least use LCD's or flashlights to point on the characters and action.

The first thing I really noticed was the audio mixing, it is pretty good now but it could be A lot better.
The acting is mediocre, probably your friends not professional actors, good job by them anyways but I think if you can get them to do ADR, you might better performance and its good the lighting is dark because it will be easy to sink dialog to the picture.

More Post Production, detailed Video Editing & Sound Design, would really bring up the production value.

Anyways Thanks for sharing, I thought it is pretty cool I want to try to shoot something quick like that sometime.

- GPS

Last edited:
definitely needs to be cut down to under 5 minutes. I actually kinda liked a lot of it though. the quirky bridge scene was cool. some of the dialogue was really funny and entertaining but a lot of it was dull.

Aside from the cinematography and unoriginal plot, the primary problem is your actors, whose poor performances give your film an almost parody-like, satirical quality -- which is a subtle way of saying: Their performances are laughable.

Last edited:
Hey guys thank you all for your replies!

The credits were long, I'll admit that. I kinda planned on using it as a resume type thing for after a graduate college but I can see that they can be trimmed to be shorter.

As for the actors well, when you aren't paying anyone it's had to find good work sometimes haha.

b-role would also be awesome to add I agree.

Also, This video had about a 5 page script. we were force to skip through a lot of it due to time issues. More time would of probly helped, but of course this isn't an excuse.

we filmed this all during the day and then I converted it to night using a filter. some shots we're kinda hard to film because of the sun and stuff.

Back