Need some advices for audio stuff.

Hi. I just get my camera last month, which is Canon 600D. The audio is horrible, so I intend to look for a microphone. My friend recommend me go for this:
http://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional-shotgun-microphone-directional-microphone_001511

It's much over budget now, and I found one cheap mic, HTDZ HT81:
http://www.htdz.com.cn/en/productsDisplay.asp?id=940

The HTDZ - HT81 seem quite decent for a cheap mic through some reviews in youtube, but I just afraid that it's not really that worth. Can anyone good with audio give me some advices with it? Thanks.

Plugging a mic directly into the camera will still give you bad audio, you will also need an audio recorder.

You need to get the mic onto a boom-pole and have someone competent "swinging" it.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to do proper gain-staging of the audio chain.

Someone who knows what they are doing needs to be monitoring the audio during blocking and shooting.

That is how you get good audio.

There are many threads on mics and recorders here on IndieTalk, with quite a few posts written by yours truly. Do a search and you will find a wealth of information.

Thanks for the advice!

So which one you will recommend? A Zoom H4n, or a Zoom H4n with a shotgun mic for recording?? For a one man crew with tight budget at the moment.

Last edited:
If you had read a few of my posts you would know that I personally favor the Tascam DR-100mkII.

And, if you had read my posts you would know that you need to choose your mic dependent upon the specific audio situation.

Thanks for the advice!

So which one you will recommend? A Zoom H4n, or a Zoom H4n with a shotgun mic for recording?? For a one man crew with tight budget at the moment.

You will definitely want a GOOD shotgun mic. AS for recorders, there are many possibilities. I personally like the Marantz PMD661

But before you set about buying anything, do some serious reading on the subject of getting good audio. As Alcove has said, read through this forum and you will find he has posted all sorts of great advice..which I thoroughly recommend that you read. Also, you can find some helpful information in this tutorial I wrote:

Sound For Film and Video: The Importance of Getting Good Audio

Back