Need some advice camrea/computer

hey i have been saving up a lot of money, and have been taking the art of film very seriosly. i made a couple of short film , and didn't use any editing programs, i have a 35d handy cam at the moment.
now i need a computer to edit my film. i am thinking about a mac g5 w/final cut.

any suggestions?

also.
should i save up and buy a better camrea, or get that when the time comes?

...no, actually I was referring to the thread where some kind soul was telling us guerrilla filmmakers how to make a light kit by going to Home Depot and buying things to actually build a working light kit.

As soon as I get a few more bucks.....:rolleyes:

-- spinner :cool:

Well there's probably several..

Here's a few I found with a quick search:

DIY Kino-Flo
$30 DIY C-Stand
DIY Flag
DIY Reflector Stand

Also you might look into these:
DV Enlightenment - "The DV Enlightenment DVD is a brilliant and highly enlightening course in Hollywood lighting for DV from DVcreators.net for anyone wanting to shoot stunningly beautiful, cinematic quality footage—for filmmaking, marketing projects, broadcast, special interest video, education or any other purpose."
Cool Lights: DIY Fluorescent Video Lighting DVD - "The video shows you how to build a particular design in a pleasant, professional, documentary style and then demonstrates its use in a typical live talent situation afterwards."

The VX2100 does not shoot in 24P and only has an exposure latitude of about 5 f-stops. You'll need to watch your lighting. I shot a short film on this thing a couple of years back and I wasn't too fond of it. Its a great camera for ENG and TV... but personally, I don't think so for film. Perhaps a DVX100x...? The exposure latitude on that (depending on how you have your scene profile set up) is around 6 f-stops or so AND you've got a great set of tools in camera to spice up the image. VX2100 is pretty much WYSIWYG. Just food for thought.

Oh yeah... and even though everyone hates PC, there is that option. Vegas is cheap and so are PCs. If you REALLY need to shrink your budget down, consider that option. No, its not FCP, but it lets you cut films and do it fast. Just don't use the Sony codecs... bleugh!

Computer - I recommend the Mac Book Pro, speed tests showed it was just as fast as the larger towers.

Camera - Never buy! Always rent! My opinion as a filmmaker is why invest $5-$20K on a camera, when you can rent and use the other money for you actual production. I learned this lesson the hard way and wasted so much money on cameras that were out of date 2 years later. Let the camera rental places take the hit on new technology coming out every few years, and we can concentrate on making movies!

Best of Luck!

Oh.. I have my reasons. :)

As for renting.. That's fine and well if you know what you're doing, but when just starting out I think it's beneficial to have a camera on hand to practice with as much as possible.. it doesn't have to be the latest greatest piece of technology available, just has to work. What's done with it is more important than what IT can do. And learning those skills takes a significant amount of time. Renting for that period would be foolish and terribly expensive. ;)

Camera, always buy, never rent ;) My reasoning is that your schedule becomes much more flexible...and using my math that I've been advocating, time=money...if you can't afford the money, spend the time...if you rent, you don't have the time as it costs money.

I own my camera, I've easily paid for it by now just on saved rentals alone. 8-9 shorts (1 weekend each) and a feature film (8 Weekends to shoot). I wouldn't have been able to do any of them as I had the money for the camera once...and never again. I've spent less than $1000 on all of the projects combined.

I do see that at a certain level of your filmmaking career (budgeted work) you may consider renting...but I am not a proponent of that as I see more flexibility and long term cost savings in ownership.

My camera is a 6 year old camera and works great so long as the majority of my distribution is still on SD...which it is. HD is still a smallish market comparatively. Once it gets bigger, I'll re-invest in a new camera that will last for a long time, like the RED...or the JVC HD100/200 series (budget dependent at that time, but I'd rather have DoF control that actually looks like a 35mm camera than an 8mm (1/3" chip) or 16mm (2/3" chip) camera. The relationship between the defocussed backgrounds and relative size to the subjects is different between the 3 of them. I really like the 35mm look (old photographer, can't help it). Besides, I can rent myself out to help recoup the cost of buying the RED.

Ownership also gives you familiarity so you can shoot faster, unless you're going to keep renting the same camera every time you shoot (at which point you've negated the argument that you rent to stay up to date).

If you plan to make lots of movies, I don't see a good business reason not to own the camera.

Regarding Red... have you taken a look at the Silicon Imaging SI-2K? www.siliconimaging.com or you can google SI-2K. Check that thing out.

What I've noticed more and more is that people get consumed by the resolution monster. Consider a camera with 4K resolution and a dynamic range (exposure latitude) of say 10 f-stops. Now consider a camera with 2K resolution but with a latitude of 11.5 f-stops. Which camera would be better to shoot with (depending on application)? I'd choose the one with better latitude any day of the week. Latitude is one of the main reasons people shoot on film. Keep in mind that resolution isn't everything... especially not until the technology is at a level where it is functional. Red isn't practical right now no matter how you look at it. Too many kinks. Now, if Red turns out to be what its developers intend it to be, then yes, hells yes, buy a Red! But right now... I'll take an F-23 or an SI-2K over that any day! :)

FYI the Sony F-23 has an exposure latitude close to 13 f-stops... the best of any digital cinema camera our there at present. Yes, even better than the Origin and Genesis... but its still 2/3" CCD technology... the only "drawback." (DoF, FoV, etc)

Back