• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need Screenwriting Advice Please

I'm in the process of writing my first feature screenplay and have a couple questions, looking for advice/tips.

1. The budget I have to make my movie is very limited, so maybe 4-5 locations. I'm just wondering how you build a whole feature length movie off of that limited amount of locations, and still keep it interesting.

2. I know you need about 60-80 scenes in a feature length movie. So how do you guys think of so many scenes without making it feel like the scenes are there just to make it longer?

You can get a free guide to how to make a good film and if you got a low budge + if you do not have a $ 500 camera.
You can read it all in the free eBook.

All you have to do is go to this link: www.screenplaywritingteach.info (This is my website so if you need help or advice then just write privately in here)

You must have a great day.

kindest

Sebastian Telvig :)

Last edited:
I'm in the process of writing my first feature screenplay and have a couple questions, looking for advice/tips.

1. The budget I have to make my movie is very limited, so maybe 4-5 locations. I'm just wondering how you build a whole feature length movie off of that limited amount of locations, and still keep it interesting.

2. I know you need about 60-80 scenes in a feature length movie. So how do you guys think of so many scenes without making it feel like the scenes are there just to make it longer?
It's best to address #2 right off. "Scene" is not the same as "location". The scene is just a single segment of action which drives the movie. Typically in a screenplay, a "scene" is what happens in between two sluglines, which give the location for the scene. In action films, often these 'scenes' occur once per page. So a 90 page script has about 90 scenes. Dialogue heavy films tend to have fewer scenes, so you might have 60 scenes. Most scripts have an average of 70-80 scenes, that is, blocks of action. However, that action can take place in a small number of locations. In the strict sense, the number of scenes is driven by your plot and the genre. It should also be mentioned that the shooting script will often detail more than the spec script. You can have multiple scenes occur within one location. Likewise, you can have multiple locations occur within one scene (intercutting for a phone call, for example).

Location is sometimes tricky to define too. You may have a house you're shooting in. But possible locations include: Bedroom, kitchen, living room, basement, bathroom, etc. So is that one location or several? In terms of sluglines, the inside of a car/house/etc. (INT) is different from the outside (EXT). So in writing a horror that takes place inside a single house, you might be shooting scenes in several rooms. For me, thinking of 'location' in terms of budgeting a film means distinct, non-joined locations--house, park, desert, etc.--which are covered by separate permissions to film. The rooms inside a house are often 'bundled' into one 'location'. That doesn't necessarily have to be true. But when you have a small budget, it's best to make full use of a property.

Coming back to #1, you need to decide on what kind of story you want to tell and what locations you have access to. You could write a drama about 5 people stuck in an elevator. You could write a horror about being trapped with a killer in a house. I know that some people prefer start with the location/budget. Personally, I like to focus on story. I like to plan for at least 2 distinct locations. This provides for visual variety for the viewer and opens up the narrative possibilities. Those two locations might be inside and outside. Dialogue intensive films can become tedious. It works in "Buried" because the writer wants the audience to get antzy. In a more open set that was less claustrophobic, I don't feel it would have been as impactful, engaging the audience in the protagonist's peril. The less space, the more intense the struggle. It is like Hitchcock's approach to suspense. Showing a conflict/situation occurring contrasted by a non-awareness of others in the film. It involves the audience who become silent participants. If you can give them a vested interested in the characters, you have a solid film.

Suspense and horror are not the only ways you could approach your feature, they are simply more convenient with examples. Another option for filmmakers is to exploit green screen techniques to extend the range of your locations. This can often be done practically and inexpensively. Since you are writing to your budget, I'm assuming you are looking to produce this yourself. As such, planning sequences that might be shot in the garage/basement/studio against a green screen and filled in with a background (sci fi, fantasy, exotic locations, etc.) may extend your possible locations without taxing your budget. You can have a beach with rolling waves or an African savannah behind your leads who are in a Wisconsin basement. AfterEffects, Sony Vegas, and other editing/effects software make that possible for the indie filmmaker.

Story should come first. If you don't have something worth watching, nothing else matters. Let it be guided by locations and budget. You can go back and make changes before shooting as details are put in place. Don't limit your script before it's written. Write it then go back and make changes, or find ways to realize visually the scenes that are essential to telling our story. As writer/director, you face more of a challenge but you also have greater flexibility. Good luck!

Hi MrJay, while it would be nice to have the funding to shoot 60-80 scenes in a myriad of locations, we must "make do" with the lot we have been given. Ther have been some brilliant films shot in one location. When I read your words the first film that came to mind was Hitchcock's Rear Window, the one were James Stewart's character is immobilized by a plastered broken leg and witnesses a murder from his apartment window. I believe they call this type of movie genre 'claustrocore'. I am presently writing a script to be set entirely in a cave/dungeon with all the characters chained to the walls with a tide coming in ! Twelve angry men is another fantastic move set entirely in a single room. Some say a good picture is worth a thousand words, I would suggest the reverse is also entirely true! Have a look at the films I have mentioned to see what can be accomplished. Accepting the limitations of your budget will sharpen your creative abilities.

I'd answer, but I my smart ass mode is always on. Also note, I'm not a scriptwriter, this all comes from my theory training on the subject, so some, if not all of this may be of no use to you.

Look at examples of what you're trying to shoot. Work out how they made it work. Look at Saw (while not really only 4 locations, the amount of locations is limited outside the main room). Also look at 12 Angry Men which is shot using 1 main locations and 2 minor locations. Pay particular attention to the conflict, character flaws and the dialogue and how it carries the movie and the characters within the movie and how it makes the audience feel.

Get that concept out of your head. Your movie is exactly as many scenes as necessary to tell your story. How many scenes is 12 Angry Men? How many scenes is Cloud Atlas?

You don't. Scriptwriting is usually the opposite of what you're talking about. If you write your movie along the line of: write the story, pad it with useless crap until it's the right length most of the time you're going to end with a poor script.

Write your script then cut and cut out anything that isn't adding to the story. If after you've cut it down you don't have a movie anymore, it's time to restart or add more relevant plot points. There are other ways to do it.

I suggest that you grab a couple books on the subject and read. Work out what your style is, whether you're a structured writer or an unstructured writer, work towards your strengths and learn how your style puts things together.

All this will come to you as you gain experience, so practice, practice, practice.

+1 to all of this. Hell, if I could hug this post, I would.

In the aspect of using as many scenes as necessary - that's my philosophy for both fiction and screenwriting. Use too much and you're bloating the story. Start doing that, and it's hard to keep it flowing.

But my two cents on the matter - anything involving a creative process goes like this:

1) Learn everything you can about what's been done before successfully.
2) Learn as many different techniques as you possibly can and figure out what works for you. Trying to do something that doesn't turns into trainwreck territory right quick. Imagine David Lynch directing a Rodriguez film or vice versa. They'd end up very different. (I'd pay to see that though, not even gonna lie).
3) Innovate. If there's not something that works, make it up. That's what being creative is about.
4) Give the finger to traditions and do your own thing.

That's why studying what works and the technique behind it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. I don't care whether you're a painter, director, or basket weaver. You figure out what has worked and why to have a solid base, but you also innovate and try new things. That's why it's an art.

Back