• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

need more transitions for Premiere

I'm using Premiere Pro on a Mac for editing and I would really like to beef up the library of transitions.

I have the whole CS5.5 suite so there is After Effects but I'm trying to stay in the Premiere timeline.

If I bought and installed Elements would Premiere see those transitions?

I don't use unlicensed software or bit torrent so pirated plugins won't cut it.

What 3rd party software bundles have a good amount of transitions like blur wipes/dissolves, shutter smudges and alpha dissolves (when it bursts out the highlights)?

Here are the transitions in Premiere.

picture.php

Thanks!

I wanted to post the same exact question!! I'm looking for some as well. Premiere's transitions just don't cut it. I'm having to use After Effects to achieve proper film fades.

The only transitions I use for narrative work are Film Fade In and Film Fade Out, which are free transition presets from Video Co-pilot. I'd like more but so far those are the only ones I find to be useful!

Yeah, only video transitions I use in Premiere are a normal cut and a cross dissolve here and there. Anything more complex usually looks a little cheesy in a prebuilt transition, I like to have the extra AE control.

You could cut the video clip just before and after the transition, highlight both clips and make it an After Effects comp. do your wok on it and you don't even haw to Pre render if you don't want , just let it sit as a composition in your sequence.

i do my transitions, or even my titles on ae. can you provide some examples of transitions you're looking for that you think you could use in premiere? maybe some of us could make you some

I'm looking for a swirling star that explodes into a bazillion little stars and maybe a bouncing basketball. Any ideas? :P

I pretty much use hard cuts, standard fades, cross dissolves, and an occasional wipe/push if the motion matches, but for music videos it's always nice to have other options.

I'll have to play around with AE!

I'm looking for a swirling star that explodes into a bazillion little stars and maybe a bouncing basketball. Any ideas? :P

I pretty much use hard cuts, standard fades, cross dissolves, and an occasional wipe/push if the motion matches, but for music videos it's always nice to have other options.

I'll have to play around with AE!

start using AE :D

you can get some ideas from this one by kramer
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/particle_explosion/

You can use high contrast photographs to make you own custom alpha transitions using the photo as a luma matte, then ramping the brightness/levels of the photo from white to black will allow you to control the matte... adding a gradient that moves across the top of that image will make a neat alpha wipe that has a non-standard edge as well.

No worries, I keep lots of grunge picture around for this specific purpose :) There's a thread with xray pix around somewhere in here.. give that a search - they're ruined xray pictures that are great grunge. I also take pictures of any neat texture that comes my way, grass, leaves, gravel, patterns... leave them in a folder on your harddrive for when you need them.

Not - for profit can go to http://www.cgtextures.com for some good stuff.

Great tip though. They had some prebuilt "organic dissolves" in an older premiere machine I had that came with a Matrox card that were basically what you described. I really liked them and they had a great feel too.

Back