• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

synopsis Need input on synopsis

Hey guys.

My brother and I came up with a synopsis for this short movie we're making. The problem is, the movie is so abstract and weird, its hard to describe it in a paragraph. After mulling over what we had, I'm beginning to think people will get the wrong impression and be turned off from watching it.

So, what do you guys think? Does it sound good or interesting? Do you think it sounds predictable and lame?

Synopsis:

NOVEK

The story is about a young man who wanders around a desolate town, trying to understand why he’s the only person alive. Through a series of dreams combined with a mysterious portal that opens up in the sky, he discovers the ultimate truth about himself and reality.

You can shorten it up a bit (This is actually more of a slug line):

As young man who wanders around a desolate town, wondering why he’s the only person alive, a mysterious portal that opens up in the sky, revealing to him the truth about himself and reality.

Leave it to the audience to decide whether it is a dream or not.

I actually have a short script with a similar synopsis that I wrote a couple years ago. It was written with a low budget in mind. The main difference being walking around a desolate town. As far as your twist goes, it could literally be anything. When you are dealing with "reality" there are basically no limitations.

The twist depends on your genre. How about he's dead? The "dreams" could be flashes from the event that ended his life and the desolate town is either purgatory or his town completely devoid of people. You could also have him catch fleeting glimpses of other people that he can never catch up to and disappear. If you go this route, your story will be everything.

Last edited:
The twist depends on your genre. How about he's dead? The "dreams" could be flashes from the event that ended his life and the desolate town is either purgatory or his town completely devoid of people. You could also have him catch fleeting glimpses of other people that he can never catch up to and disappear. If you go this route, your story will be everything.

Awesome! The twist isn't that obvious then. Thanks for the input.

It sounds lame to me.

I made the “wanders around a desolate town” film when I was 15.
I did it twice. Rod Serling wrote this four or five times. I’ve seen
dozens of them at student film festivals so you are in good company.
To me I have no desire to see a movie where the main character
discovers the ultimate truth about himself because that “ultimate”
truth is always a let down.

But I’m sure your twist will blow my mind.

When will you shoot this?

My sentiments exactly, which is why its not really about a guy wandering around an abandoned city. That's just the first minute of the movie. The rest are flashbacks that take you on an eloquent mind fuck...Well, that's what our aim is. We want eloquence in color, cinematography, and overall flow, but we want a story that's as fucked up as the Matrix and Dark City.

We're planning to shoot the beginning in a few weeks since it has to be shot during winter (symbolism), but the rest will be shot this summer. We need time to accumulate enough money, actors, and crew members.

Back