Need ideas for more lenses!

Hey guys,

So I bought the T3i a while ago because of the problems with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (which, a month later they fixed every issue... of course! :P ), and so far I've still only got the 18-55mm kit lens.

I'm wondering what other (Canon) lenses I should get that are general-purpose?

For example, I want a decent general-purpose lens that offers better, sharper quality than the kit lens, a good wide-angle, and a good lens for low-light situations. Granted, I won't be able to afford them all at once, but I'd at least like a few opinions so I can shop around a lot more efficiently!

Any and all opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys!

Oh, I would definitely keep the current camera as a B-Camera!

Unless I could get several hundred dollars for it and the lens to go towards the 5D... then I might consider it. :P But by the time I could even start to think to buy it, I'm sure the MK IV will be out, and I'll be able to get it for much cheaper. :P

Or maybe by then, Blackmagic Design will have fixed all issues with their 4K production camera, and I could go for that... *stares off into distance wishfully*

But! For now, my current cam and the Sigma lens will be absolutely perfect for what I want to do. :)

Aside from the blackhole sun, mine doesn't have any issues to speak of....and I don't plan on shooting at the sun very often (read ever).

It's horrible for your sensor anyway! ;)

I've heard that it's got some weird line issues and is terrible in low-light situations... since a couple of films I want to shoot are black-and-white film noir, I sort of need a low-light capable camera AND lens (hence why that was one of the first things I asked for in a lens!). This is also why I want the 5D MK III, because it is insanely good under low-light!

There are lots of reports of fixed pixel noise -- and there is a solution/workaround for it as well. I've heard about weird vertical white lines some people are seeing... which seem to be power related oddly enough. MY camera, however has yet to exhibit either. Granted I haven't looked for FPN yet, but given there is a work around to remove it in post anyway, not a huge issue for me, and I tend to favor not shooting in the dark. :lol:

Not compatible for full-frame?

That's a bit of a shame, since I eventually want to upgrade to the 5D MK III (or MK IV probably, by the time I can afford it :P ). Regardless, I still think the Sigma would be a really good lens to start off with!
Aye, and it will retain its value.

If you do not have a PLANNED intention to upgrade to full frame, do not even consider the EF vs EF-S issue. In other words, if you can't say exactly what day you are going to buy a 5d3, just buy lenses for your current camera. There's no good reason not to have good lenses for the camera your are currently using. Lenses can retain 75-80% of their value if you don't beat them up too bad. And when it's the best lens for the job, you should take it. In this case, it's the widest aperture zoom being manufactured, has a terrific focal length, and is significantly cheaper than the nearest competitor (the canon 16-35).

There are a few lenses I still want to get. Happily, I'm almost set, but still want the sigma 35mm art, that crazy sigma zoom, and a wide tilt-shift. Also on the list: version 2 70-200 2.8 would rock, a 24-70 tamron 2.8, and maybe a set of Samyang cinema lenses, just cuz.

Back