Need ideas for more lenses!

Hey guys,

So I bought the T3i a while ago because of the problems with the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (which, a month later they fixed every issue... of course! :P ), and so far I've still only got the 18-55mm kit lens.

I'm wondering what other (Canon) lenses I should get that are general-purpose?

For example, I want a decent general-purpose lens that offers better, sharper quality than the kit lens, a good wide-angle, and a good lens for low-light situations. Granted, I won't be able to afford them all at once, but I'd at least like a few opinions so I can shop around a lot more efficiently!

Any and all opinions/suggestions are welcome. Thanks guys!

Tokina 11-16mm

Also, look at the rokinon lenses, the cine line, or otherwise. For the price, the rokinon is about the best thing going right now, but that tokina is pretty sweet.

Ooh, that Tokina looks really very nice... that may very well be the first new lens I get. :D

I will take a look at those others as well! Thanks Will!

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll go with the Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide Angle, since some of the new work I want to do this Spring involves a lot of landscape shooting and other wide-angle shots. That seems like a better investment at the moment.

Now, silly question, for close-up, low-light shots, would a regular Macro lens work, or is there something specific I should look at as well?

Again, thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Yodaman, the tokina is only about $100 more than that rokinon 14mm and gives you not only wider, but a range of options for focal length. Pretty sure it's also a sharper lens.

But if you want to go really wide, Rokinon makes an 8mm ;)

Yeah, I'm going to get the Tokina afterall - somehow the Rokinon 14mm is a fisheye, while the Tokina isn't. Plus the Tokina, as you said, gives you a bit more options!

And 8mm lens would be kinda fun, though! :P

Rokinon 14mm is not a fisheye lens.

Not technically, but if you look at the pictures/videos people have taken with it, it has a VERY similar look to a fisheye. In other words, it's only good for faraway landscape shots, or for adding a really unique look to some videos.

What I meant to say in my last post is that somehow, it has a fisheye look, while the Tokina doesn't.

And yes, the Tokina is definitely the better choice. :)

So now that I've got a good idea for a wide-angle lens, what about one for close-ups that still have a fairly wide aperture so that I can get some good close-up footage of, say, people around a fire at night?

You could do a close up with a wide lens, just move the camera closer.

I could see the Rokinon 85mm being a good choice for a close up too though, depending on the situation and desired feel for the shot

I dunno I was looking at one the other day that was fixed at f/2.3 I think.. perhaps I misread the spec on the thing I was looking at. Also note the time I posted that -- 2:27am, I think I was half asleep. lol

Anyway, get good ND filters. :)

Not technically, but if you look at the pictures/videos people have taken with it, it has a VERY similar look to a fisheye. In other words, it's only good for faraway landscape shots, or for adding a really unique look

Rubbish. ...I own the samyang 14mm (same as rokinon just different branding) and it's not fish eye at all in photos or video I sjoot on a 600d and have no issues and the fact that it has follow focus pitch already applied to the lens is a deal breaker for film work. Plus everyone knows that in most cases primes are sharper than zooms - the samyang/rokinon is no exception.

You could do a close up with a wide lens, just move the camera closer.
Getting a closeup with a wide really distorts faces. I've done that when intentionally distorting things, but your talent will have to be briefed as you'll be only 1-2 feet away and right in their faces.

A 50mm is enough to do a good closeup without much facial distortion.

I use a 77mm variable ND that goes from about 2 to 8 stops. It can do just one stop, but you can get artifacts at the lower levels. I have some step up rings for the smaller lenses.

Last edited:
I suppose I could just use my kit lens for close-ups... problem is that when it's zoomed in at 50-55mm, the lens is also then at f/5.6, so the image is then considerably darker. Really bad, since I already don't have professional lighting. :P

You might want to take a look at the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 as an upgrade/replacement for your kit lens. It's the fastest zoom available (significantly faster than the kit lens), has a constant aperture, and is incredibly sharp - competing well with primes in it's range. It would cover 2 of your needs ("better, sharper quality than the kit lens [...] and a good lens for low-light situations") leaving you just needing a second lens for really wide stuff.

I've heard lots of good things about Sigma. That lens looks really good! That'll be the lens I get next then. Wide shoots can always wait a bit longer. :)

Thanks!
The newer sigma lenses are extremely good. They've put out only great lenses the past couple years.

The older ones had a lot of crap with a few gems.

The 18-35 is on my wish list, although I really wish it worked on full frame since that's what I generally use.

Not compatible for full-frame?

That's a bit of a shame, since I eventually want to upgrade to the 5D MK III (or MK IV probably, by the time I can afford it :P ). Regardless, I still think the Sigma would be a really good lens to start off with!

Back