Need help

I am filming a short film and one of the locations is an ext shot of a gas station. Do I need to get a release to show a pepsi machine and other companies logos or just the permission from the owner the gas station

I think that it would be a good idea to cover your tracks ( I can't see a company turning down free advertising!). I admit I'm unaware of "incidental" footage like this-but I always follow the mantra of see about getting the permissions. I know its Pepsi, and no one would think you made that name up, however you never know when a company will try and accuse you of broadcasting it's brand without permission....:)
Not to mention they want to cover themselves too: They don't need you doing the film and then saying "Hey, I want X amount of dollars for advertising your product"-sounds silly, but it happens.

On a semi-related topic of permission vs forgiveness. I have a friend who works at a post house. They make a SHIT TON of money blurring out license plates, logos, etc... in people's films who didn't go to the trouble to greek it out when they were shooting. $.27 of gaffer tape vs a couple hundred bucks of post production work.

Back