• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need help on a super simple effect

I've never done anything with a green screen, so I've never had to go through the keying process. Our set up is going to be filming from the outside of a car, looking in, with a green screen covering the windows. The car is standing still in the film.

So, a pretty simple effect, but I have no experience with anything green screen related. My main problem is which plugin to use with Premiere CS6 and how to use it. I have an idea for how I'm going to film it/film the shots that will be keyed, but any help or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Different keys can be used for different purposes. Most of the time you're not going to want to use PP CS6 (I've used it once for this and it came out fine) to do the keying. That all being said, "Ultra Key", "Chroma Key" can both work fine. You just sometimes have to play with the settings for best results if you've lit your green screen poorly.

Key thing with making greenscenes look good is matching the lighting of your greenscreen shoot with the backgrounds you are inserting.

Thats why it seems odd to shoot the greenscreen first, rather than the backgrounds. I'd say shoot the plates first, just create a spherical HDRI at a solid resolution. That way you can always insert a background at approx the right angle, and you have all the 360 degrees of lighting information to match your greenscreen shoot to the actual situation.

Since you have already shot the greenscreen stuff. I would probably just shoot the backgrounds regardless, see if they match properly and if not, reshoot the greenscreen with different lighting.

As far as what software to use, I would recommend just outsourcing it, there's no reason to do everything. You're probably going to want to use Nuke or After Effects. There's probably a lot of people who would help you out with it for very little money if its just stationary and all the various elements are shot properly.

Back