NEED HELP FROM THE SOUND TECHIES!

Ok on craigslist i found the AKG C451 condensor microphone. I saw some tests of it on youtube and they all sounded pretty good. What do you guys think about this mic for video if i were to boom the mic? Thanks for any help!

Okay, let's see...

Were they music tests or production sound tests? It's usually used for music applications, especially high dB situations like drum overheads. It's a cardioid, not a hypercardioid which is preferred for production sound. Other than that it's not a bad mic. So it all comes down to how much it is, how old it is and what kind of condition it's in. I wouldn't pay more than $200 in great condition, and I would be using it for music and sound FX applications, not production sound.

Hope that helps...

Okay, let's see...

Were they music tests or production sound tests? It's usually used for music applications, especially high dB situations like drum overheads. It's a cardioid, not a hypercardioid which is preferred for production sound. Other than that it's not a bad mic. So it all comes down to how much it is, how old it is and what kind of condition it's in. I wouldn't pay more than $200 in great condition, and I would be using it for music and sound FX applications, not production sound.

Hope that helps...

Yes thank you that does help alot! The tests were of music (acustic guitar and drums). I guess its not the mic for me becuase i am looking for somthing that would be able to pick up the actors dialouge even if hes not talking loud. Thanks for the help!

The AKG C451 is actually a preamp body. There are a number of different capsules available that screw onto the end of the body. The most common capsule found on these is the CK1 cardiod capsule. There are however, omni and hypercardiod capsules available, as well. The CK8 capsule is ashort shotgun, the CK9 is a long shotgun. CK5 is a cardiod capsule with a windshield.
How do they sound?
I love them. Use them all the time recording both music and sound effects in the field, and in the studio. Particularly with the CK1 capsule. They're Quite bright, but have a really clean sound. They are fine with this capsule for close recording or recording where background ambience is ok. The CK9 shotgun capsule is ok, though not anything to write home about. If it was just the shotgun you wanted there are better options out there, but if you want a preamp body with interchangeable capsules they are great. Particularly the early models like the C451EB or C452EB

Back