• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need help editing a documentary

Okay so i filmed a documentary for a client of mine, ive got about 7 days worth of footage and 1 interview for each person the documentary is about (i know thats not alot of interview)

so im stuck and confused, so far ive edited about 2 mins, the first min is dedicated to setting up the scene, the next min is the leader of the group talking about what were doing, then it starts with the protagonists singing, it is a music documentary, now i have these interviews and i dont know what to do with them!

Would it be better to upload a copy of the doc so far to show you the direction im going in?

What's the "story" that needs to be told? That's the first "creative" parameter that needs to be set.

I guess that the very first thing to do is organize the footage. That's always my first task when doing audio post, organizing the audio files. It also gives me an opportunity to become familiar with them.

I'm sure that real editors will chime in soon.

I'm sure that real editors will chime in soon.

I'm wondering what happened to their plan going in. It's always a good starting point.

i dont know what to do with them!

You may be in a pickle. If you didn't write your story before you started shooting, you're going to have to write your story with what you have shot.

Would it be better to upload a copy of the doc so far to show you the direction im going in?

It really won't matter. Only you will know what footage was shot. Only you are in the position to work out what the best story to tell will be. If you cannot do it, it's time to hire an editor who can.

Spot and organize all your footage.
Write all the interviews down.

Know what the purpose of this project is: what do you want to tell the viewers?
Is this what you actually shot, or did something else surface?
What is your set up promising the viewer?

See how the visuals are telling a story.
Read how the interviews are telling a story.
Group the answers on topic, not on person. Are their 'conflicts' and nuances in what is being said?

Where is the drama?
Where is the tension?
What is the climax of the story?

Build a structure.
Edit.
Watch.
Re-edit.
Watch.
Re-edit.
Watch.

Record some voice-over if you are missing some links or clearity.
Or record extra interviews. Sometimes interviews in hindsight can give a new perspective.

A story should emerge by now :P

Good luck!
Editing documentaries ain't easy.

The story is starting to emerge, some parts dont make sense but thats okay, but i plan on editing as much as i can then getting interviews to cover everything else, if i need anymore help ill come back here!

Hello I am Brian. I have read your posts regarding editing your documentary. I like the direction the posts are going so far.

My question to you is, are you looking for help in editing, or just advice on how to put the story/stories together? Like I said, so far it sounds like people are giving good info on the story creating process. Can you upload or have you uploaded some of the footage so someone can gain some perspective as to your process? I also like the idea of re-visiting one of the interviewees, maybe one who has some sort of lead in the interviewing process, for the hindsight perspective.

Please post to let me know if you have uploaded any footage, and if you need help with the actual editing.

Back