Need help choosing a wide angle lens

I am going to be purchasing the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 soon, and am trying to decide on my lens kit. I have decided that I would like to go vintage because I like the look of the lenses as well as the price. I am looking to get three lenses to start with a telephoto, normal, and wide angle.

The GH2 has a focal length multiplier of 2.0 as well as a 1:1 mode which gives a multiplier of 4.0 (2.0 x 2.0). For example, a 50mm lens would have the characteristics of a 100mm lens normally, and a 200mm lens in 1:1 mode. I would write the lens as follows: Brand 50mm (100mm; 1:1 - 200mm) f#.

As of right now, I am looking at the following lenses for my telephoto and normal focal length:

Helios-77M-4 50mm (100mm; 1:1 - 200mm) f1.8
or
Helios-103 53mm (106mm; 1:1 212mm) f1.8

Helios-98 28mm (56mm; 1:1 - 112mm) f2.8

For the above lenses, I only have the multiple options for so I can just check which is a better deal at the time. For wide angle, there are a number of factors that have led me to the following.

Panasonic 14-42mm (28-84mm; 1:1 56-168mm) f3.5-5.6

I am unsure if I should get the kit camera which is easier to find and comes with the Panasonic 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 lens for only $100 more. It is a newer lens, and I worry about its ability to blend with the vintage lenses. I have also heard bad things about the manual focus on these AF lenses. Or I can buy a completely different lens at one of your suggestions.

Thanks for any input you guys have!

Last edited:
@TheArtist,
It would be fisheye, but the crop sensor doesn't use the entire image circle, so its not very "fishy" if you look at the sample I posted above, you can see a little barrel distortion but not much.

@TheArtist,
It would be fisheye, but the crop sensor doesn't use the entire image circle, so its not very "fishy" if you look at the sample I posted above, you can see a little barrel distortion but not much.

Is the 16mm video you posted from your T2i or GH2? I'm thinking it's from the T2i, so you'd see even less distortion on a m4/3 sensor.

Back