Need Funding for my first short film! [indiegogo]

Hi Everyone, my names Tom and like many of you I'm an aspiring film director! I've finally decided to come up with my first official short film named Chloe! It follows the life of two girls who are secretly lovers, yet everyone else believes they're just best friends. But the story is not a happy ending as "where there is love, there is pain"... So basically, what I need is contributions from generous people who can help me make my film into a reality! I've setup a campaign on Indiegogo and just looking at it and spreading the word would mean millions to me! As I so desperately want to make this film and take this first step in film making after 6 years of practising at school and in my free time! A million thank you's to everyone who helps as I'm sure you too know how it was to first start off.

link: http://www.indiegogo.com/chloethefilm

Thanks to you all that helps in some way,
Tom!

EDIT:

More detailed description of the film:
The film follows the life of two teenage girls who are secretly in love, their names are Chloe and Kat (Katherine - her name meaning "pure/virginal"). The film starts off with the quotation "where there is love, there is pain" and then everything fades but the word "pain" which then fades into the first scene which is of an unknown girl standing on some train tracks with a train speeding towards her. Just as the train is about to hit her we cut to the second scene. We see Chloe and Kat at Chloes house, both lying next to each other in bed. And from there we grow more atttached to the two characters as the film progresses, creating an emotional bomb. They both go out for the day and end up fishing with nets in the river, after Kat catches a fish she trips, spilling the bucket of water she placed it in over Chloe. Chloe then chases Kat across the field (in a playful way but this scene is important as it mirrors a scene later on in the film). Anyway, skipping ahead a bit... they're then walking home before they get stopped by a "chavy" teenage boy who tries to rape Chloe. Theres obvious struggle between the three characters and in the end Kat's shot by the teenage boy. He then tries to flee the scene but Chloe in her upset mindset goes after him and chases him (this is the scene that mirrors the scene of Chloe chasing Kat). After catching up to him, Chloe jumps on top of him and they stuggle before she kicks him in the groin and they both fall to the ground, Chloe grabs a large rock and smashes it agaisnt the teenage boy's face repeatedly... with each blow to his face causing her to cry more and more. The realisation of everything that has just happened causes her to get upset and to start crying on top of the boy. A passer-by then comes across Chloe and the body and Chloe flees the scene. She appears in a large field with a train track running through it and she slowly walks towards the tracks. Upon getting to the tracks she sits down and takes out a picture from her jacket pocket and then looks at it on her blood covered hands. A light comes from her left (a train) and she stands up, open armed as the train ploughs into her. The photo then floats down and when the train has left, the photo lands on the track to reveal the two girls happy together. The quotation "where there is love, there is pain" then fades onto screen and the rest of the screen fades to black.

Last edited:
I just want to add, find crew people with their own equipment who also pay the insurance on their own equipment.

Rent is a curse word for independent filmmakers because you must have a substantial credit line to rent equipment and low paid crew people tend to abuse rented equipment. So, when you go to return it, you are left holding the bag getting charged on your charge card for what a crew person did to the equipment.

I have personal experience with this and stuck with a no rental policy ever since.

Crew people only take proper care of their own equipment.

Not true. I have zero credit and have rented gear before. All they wanted was a photocopy of my driver's license.

Not true. I have zero credit and have rented gear before. All they wanted was a photocopy of my driver's license.

I cannot rent around here without a credit card. They want both a driver's license and a credit card on file and they put a charge on the card to see if it is legit. The places here rent five and six digit pieces of equipment and they will not rent without collateral because they see renting out as loaning out. And loans must have collateral behind them like taking a loan from a bank.

A lighting department guy "Lost" a piece of equipment the rental house billed me $10,000 for.

That's my personal experience with rentals and why I stopped renting.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has replied. As many of you were wondering what I was going to spend the money on I'll tell you first:

- liquid latex ($13)
- fake blood ($6)
- charity shop top & hoody ($22) (can't use actors as these will get ripped and sections will be covered in liquid latex/fake blood)
- paying special effects artist ($20)
- paying actors (in pizza - $20)
- canon t2i ($514) (although most of you will argue you can make a film on something cheaper than this, I wanted to try and raise enough money to buy this as I wanted to make a film that looked good visually)

I've already got just under $100 saved, and as directorik has also done, I've been going without lunch too in order to try and get some extra money, although I think they're catching on as they're trying to get me to take my own lunch more and more.

Also as my description of my film seems to be too vague... I'll describe it in more detail (I was just trying not to give away the whole plot of the film straight away but anyways...): The film follows the life of two teenage girls who are secretly in love, their names are Chloe and Kat (Katherine - her name meaning "pure/virginal"). The film starts off with the quotation "where there is love, there is pain" and then everything fades but the word "pain" which then fades into the first scene which is of an unknown girl standing on some train tracks with a train speeding towards her. Just as the train is about to hit her we cut to the second scene. We see Chloe and Kat at Chloes house, both lying next to each other in bed. And from there we grow more atttached to the two characters as the film progresses, creating an emotional bomb. They both go out for the day and end up fishing with nets in the river, after Kat catches a fish she trips, spilling the bucket of water she placed it in over Chloe. Chloe then chases Kat across the field (in a playful way but this scene is important as it mirrors a scene later on in the film). Anyway, skipping ahead a bit... they're then walking home before they get stopped by a "chavy" teenage boy who tries to rape Chloe. Theres obvious struggle between the three characters and in the end Kat's shot by the teenage boy. He then tries to flee the scene but Chloe in her upset mindset goes after him and chases him (this is the scene that mirrors the scene of Chloe chasing Kat). After catching up to him, Chloe jumps on top of him and they stuggle before she kicks him in the groin and they both fall to the ground, Chloe grabs a large rock and smashes it agaisnt the teenage boy's face repeatedly... with each blow to his face causing her to cry more and more. The realisation of everything that has just happened causes her to get upset and to start crying on top of the boy. A passer-by then comes across Chloe and the body and Chloe flees the scene. She appears in a large field with a train track running through it and she slowly walks towards the tracks. Upon getting to the tracks she sits down and takes out a picture from her jacket pocket and then looks at it on her blood covered hands. A light comes from her left (a train) and she stands up, open armed as the train ploughs into her. The photo then floats down and when the train has left, the photo lands on the track to reveal the two girls happy together. The quotation "where there is love, there is pain" then fades onto screen and the rest of the screen fades to black.

I hope that more detailed explanation has satisfied many of you, I realise I should've put this up originally, maybe with a spoiler warning or something, but I just didn't want to give the whole story away.

Also to the people saying about getting money from my friends/family, most of them are using the "im broke" excuse or are helping in my film in one way or another and are saying "we shouldn't have to give you any money because we're already giving up our time". However, I am trying to get support from people, one of the reasons I asked on here.

And finally, to the people wondering how dedicated I really am to this film... I've already planned everything including the filming dates and times (which I've checked with the actors I plan to use) and when we have to be at different locations. So whether I get this money or not, I will still be shooting the film... Just, without the money it won't look nearly as good as with the money.

I hope this answered everybodys questions/queries and I apologise if my answers don't make complete sense, It's 1 in the morning where I am but I realised I hadn't checked on here 10mins ago and thought I'd answer all these questions before going to bed. Anyway, if anyone else has any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

So really you're just trying to raise money to buy yourself a camera.

Have you even tried running an ad online for a DP to work for credit, copy and meals? There are so many aspiring cinematographers out there who have already got a T2i or better. Are you saying they've all turned you down?

Crowdfunding isn't about getting new toys. If you want a new camera, why don't you get a part-time job? Even at minimum wage, if you work only ten hours a week you'll reach 500 bucks in two months. You can't tell me that your school schedule is so intense that you can't work 10 hours a week.

Let me be clear, too. I do not own a HDLSR, though I would love to. I can't afford it. What I do have is an HD camcorder that is considered obsolete in this DSLR-crazed era. And guess what, when you put the in time and effort, the picture looks just as good as any DSLR. And guess what else? You can get my exact camera model for $200 or less these days on eBay (even though I paid $800 for it when it was new and all the craze.)

So go grab an HD camcorder, learn how to light a scene, and make your film for the $61 that is what you listed besides buying yourself a new toy. You said you've already saved $100 so you're $39 ahead of the game. Spring for an extra pizza for your cast and crew. They'll love you.

Have you even tried running an ad online for a DP to work for credit, copy and meals? There are so many aspiring cinematographers out there who have already got a T2i or better. Are you saying they've all turned you down?

Crowdfunding isn't about getting new toys. If you want a new camera, why don't you get a part-time job? Even at minimum wage, if you work only ten hours a week you'll reach 500 bucks in two months. You can't tell me that your school schedule is so intense that you can't work 10 hours a week.

Let me be clear, too. I do not own a HDLSR, though I would love to. I can't afford it. What I do have is an HD camcorder that is considered obsolete in this DSLR-crazed era. And guess what, when you put the in time and effort, the picture looks just as good as any DSLR. And guess what else? You can get my exact camera model for $200 or less these days on eBay (even though I paid $800 for it when it was new and all the craze.)

So go grab an HD camcorder, learn how to light a scene, and make your film for the $61 that is what you listed besides buying yourself a new toy. You said you've already saved $100 so you're $39 ahead of the game. Spring for an extra pizza for your cast and crew. They'll love you.

+1.3

....and give Dreadylocks a Line Producers credit in the short. She saved you 80% of the initial proposed budget and got your short greenlit as you already have the budget in the kitty.

Congrats, go find yourself a friends camera and make your short. And remember, it doesn't have to be cinema quality. Shoot with what you can get your hands on. An Iphone if push comes to shove. The chances of a distributor picking up your short for wide cinematic release is.... well you guess.

Show us what you made when you're done.

The holidays are coming. When your parents and grandparents, and any other relatives ask what you'd like for Christmas. Tell them a gift certificate to the camera store of choice, and maybe that will get you partially on your way to that new camera.

If your still a school kid, then get your mum and dad or grandparents to get you a camera, simply done, people buy 5 yr olds iPads and whatnot so you can get a t2i for £350-400, look on digital rev you may be able to get the t3i for the same price or cheaper than the t2i

Thanks for the reply, and no I haven't tried running an online advert. However that's mainly because I live in a not very exciting town called Shrewsbury in England and the nearest city is just over an hour away (and that's where most people who are willing to help and use their camera/equipment are based).

And no my school schedule isn't that intense, however its finding a job thats the hard part. I've been trying since July which is almost 4 months ago but no-one wants to hire me. So from this I've been trying to do other things to raise money, like buy and sell online but unfortunately non of these schemes have made enough profit.

And I know it seems like I just want a new camera, and yes I do, but I also wanted to make my first short film look good. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and an optimist, which is why I tried crowdfunding. However, if crowdfunding does fail then I'll continue to save up all my money I get and at the same time going round everyone at my college to see if they have a camera I could film with. I could use what I have at the moment which is my dad's old camcorder but he stopped using it but that really is bad so I'll probably just wait.

EDIT: Let me make it clear that my dad's old camcorder has a vertical black line running through it (in-between the center and the right of the frame). And this is why I would rather wait and try and get the money, then use that.

Last edited:
I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and an optimist.

Unlikely. If you were, you'd have asked for a Red Epic or equivalent.

I could use what I have at the moment which is my dad's old camcorder but he stopped using it but that really is bad so I'll probably just wait.

This makes my blood boil. You already have access to a camera but you want others to finance you to buying a new camera to get you started? What's wrong with it? It shoot cross eyed or upside down?

Geez, get out there and shoot and stop asking for a handout. You've got a chance to make something of yourself and you're wasting it. Go go go... Shoot a masterpiece on that cheap piece of crap... Then the money will follow.

I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and an optimist, which is why I tried crowdfunding.
Yeah, you're going to have to let that one go.
There's "giving a d@mn" and then there's being a perfectionist, which is lunacy.

Adopt more of a "close enough is good enough" / "80% of the work in 20% of the time" approach and you'll be much happier and your audience won't even notice.

Unlikely. If you were, you'd have asked for a Red Epic or equivalent.

This makes my blood boil. You already have access to a camera but you want others to finance you to buying a new camera to get you started? What's wrong with it? It shoot cross eyed or upside down?

Geez, get out there and shoot and stop asking for a handout. You've got a chance to make something of yourself and you're wasting it. Go go go... Shoot a masterpiece on that cheap piece of crap... Then the money will follow.

No seriously, when you film with this camera it creates a vertical black line down the video inbetween the centre and the far right hand side which ruins the whole video in my opinion so I really do need a different camera as you can understand.

Yeah, you're going to have to let that one go.
There's "giving a d@mn" and then there's being a perfectionist, which is lunacy.

Adopt more of a "close enough is good enough" / "80% of the work in 20% of the time" approach and you'll be much happier and your audience won't even notice.

I know but like every film maker out there you aspire to create the best film you can and that's what I'm trying to do.

I know but like every film maker out there you aspire to create the best film you can and that's what I'm trying to do.

Most non-professional film makers are trying to put together the skills and the experience to get to becoming a professional. That usually means that you have to show you're ready to use the gear/financing before you get it.

I'm sure you've got a friend who has an iphone. The old ones can do 480p video with the newer ones being capable of doing 1080p.... or get to know someone who has a basic handicam. Show you understand how to make a shot, story telling, editing, getting the audience to feel the intended emotion. It's not the gear, its the people behind that gear that determines the success of what you're making.

Hell. Look at the Blair Witch Project. Do you think they waited until they got the best money could buy? If memory serves me right, that movie made some money.

This thread is getting me motivated ;)

No seriously, when you film with this camera it creates a vertical black line down the video inbetween the centre and the far right hand side which ruins the whole video in my opinion so I really do need a different camera as you can understand.

I have a decent set-up (in my opinion) I live in London, if you want you can come and use my stuff ( I will be there at all times obvs) so you don't have to pay over the odds now do you?

It's a one time offer, if you book in advance you can get travel for as cheap as £15 I think..

Why am I being so nice? Coz If I was you I wish someone like me would come along..

I don't think mussonman was speaking of the content quality or
meaning of a short film. Most people finance their own first official
short film especially when the needed amount is only $500. We
filmmakers sacrifice to find the funding for our movies so I find it
interesting (not "hilarious") when a filmmaker hopes other people,
complete strangers, will pay for their project.

Short films can be of very high quality and quite meaningful. I'll
be following your campaign. I hope you find people who are willing
to donate their hard earned money to you.

Have you ever donated money to a filmmaker you don't know?

That's exactly what I meant. Not only should you be writing your short films within your budget, unless you're buying a camera with that money, there's no way your short is going to cost that much.

I'll give you an example, my first feature film is going to cost me a little less than $200 to make. I am employed, so after my first few checks at my most recent job, I bought my T2i... this was months ago. I already have Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, and the entire Master Collection (thanks to a friend, who originally would only let me borrow his laptop, but I used it so much, he decided to sell it to me for $100.) I am torn between buying my microphone between now and right before production on this feature length film. That is about half of that $200 I mentioned... then I only need a small amount for a few costumes and snacks for the actors.

On top of that, I am currently making a web series that, so far has cost me nothing but $5 for a flask (it's a prop, we're not alcoholics!! ...okay, we kinda are.) and a few bucks here and there for food and gas, half of which I ate myself (the food, not the gas.)

The reason I'm able to make both of these very very large projects for so cheap is because I wrote within my budget. I decided to tell a good story, rather than an expensive one. I make a lot of short films, and they never cost me a dime.

Sure I'm tempted to start up a kickstarter to get some free money... but I know nobody will donate to me, because I haven't proven myself yet.

All it takes for a good camera is to get a part time job, work it for a little while, save up your money and get your equipment. It's your decision to keep the job or not afterwards. You live in the U.K, so there's probably more jobs available than over in America, where you're lucky to find a job that pays in tips...

I have a decent set-up (in my opinion) I live in London, if you want you can come and use my stuff ( I will be there at all times obvs) so you don't have to pay over the odds now do you?

It's a one time offer, if you book in advance you can get travel for as cheap as £15 I think..

Why am I being so nice? Coz If I was you I wish someone like me would come along..

Coolest dude ever.

OP, you should totally take him up on this offer. :cool:

Wow! That is so generous of you, I just have one problem, I live in the midlands (the city I was referencing earlier to be an hour away was Birmingham). I actually live 4 hours away from london, which on the train would cost £142.50 for 5 of us (me, make-up artist and the 3 actors) and thats if we pass for children. Damn, your offer is really good! If I managed to raise enough money to pay for the train tickets but not enough to get everything to do the film independently, would I be able to take you up on your offer please? This is just amazing, I really hope I'll be able to take you up on your offer. Thank you!

Back