Need funding for a feature length indie film

Hey guys!

I'm Nathan, the director of an upcoming feature length web series titled "The Crucible". We're using Kickstarter to fund this project, and I would greatly appreciate any form of donations from this awesome community. :) First off, here's the plot:

Joseph Hawk has considered himself an “average kid” his entire life. Hawk wasn't considered an orphan, although he would claim to have felt like one. His father passed away shortly after his birth, leaving him with just his mom and his wretched step-dad. Both “parents” are slightly corrupt and feel no need to satisfy his pleasures. However, there was something different about him that he didn't envision as “different”. He was usually bullied and picked on during school and wasn't socially capable of making friends at his schools and usually was kicked out of his learning environment and made frequent transfers. But Joseph had a special “ability” or power that divided him from the rest of the human race, which was teleportation. He was able to “jump” or teleport to any place he desired as long as he had seen it before. His awkwardness didn't serve him well and even though he knew of this particular power he had, he never used it outside his home. Sometimes he would teleport to a different location when he was angry with his parents. However one day, that all changed. A particular day Hawk went to school; the local bullies had pushed him too far. He couldn't handle his anger and it caused him to use his teleportation to beat the bullies. Not only was he expelled from school, he received a letter in the mail from a special academy called Hero Academy that was known as the “home of heroes”. After he was expelled, his parents wanted to send him to a military academy but Joseph ran away from home. Realizing he had nowhere to go, and all hope seemed lost, a Messenger took him to his new home: Hero Academy. Upon arrival he noticed many different kids with various “powers” such as shooting fire, shapeshifting, etc. Joeseph was just trying to “fit” into the high school after being assigned a roommate who is known as Shadow (happens to have the ability to clone himself). He notices a division of factions (like a usual high school setting) as well as bullies: but a different kind of bully environment. The bullies at Hero Academy are much stronger, faster, and powerful in every way. Despite of that however, he also discovers “The Crucible” (the biggest games event televised in the world of superheroes). The Crucible is a tournament that is comprised of teams (4 people per team maximum) of students enrolled at Hero Academy. It happens once every four years, and every student at Hero Academy must do it to prove their worthiness in the world of heroes. Students must go through a series of training before the tournament begins and even have a division of "classes" (like stealth, medic, etc). The winning team of The Crucible receives recognition, fame, riches, and most importantly: glory. The young and ambitious Joseph Hawk creates his own team, entering the tournament as a group of freshmen on a mission to win The Crucible.

I'd like to ask you guys if you could donate to this film because I really need the funding. Any donations would be appreciated, and with the help of you guys I'll be able to make this film as epic as can be. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to make this film, and I need funding in order to make this happen (equipment, renting locations, cameras, lighting, green screens, etc). If I don't get funding, the film will take longer to produce and not as great because we'll have to do it free. I give rewards to people who donate ranging from having your name in the credits to even shirts and other cool apparel! So I ask you to please donate, it will be completely worth it! I plan to use Adobe After Effects to video edit this film (with the help of funding that will be possible) and release the series via Youtube. My channel is monkpo1 so you can see previous videos I have there (the live action ones were made with the After effects trial). I would like to also have this at a film festival! Since we're using Kickstarter to receive funding, so you can use that to donate! Here's the link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/159844980/the-crucible-film?ref=email

Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Gotta be honest... Without smaller paragraphs, it's really really really difficult to read that.

Also, you're a freshman in college. Do you have any shorts under your belt? It seems like you're trying to get a lot of money (perhaps not when it comes to "blockbuster" films but a lot of money when you're asking for donations. The kickstarter page is really really lacking in structure. This may not seem important but if you're the writer of the script that you're pitching and you're not drawing us in we will expect the same of the final product.

I'm not saying my page is amazing but notice how I broke up the paragraphs (i just grabbed this form a template) http://www.indiegogo.com/pterodactylsurprise

Also notice that I put my director's experience and showed some of his work in the projects. Let's people know what he's capable of. Take a look around all of the sites and look at the successful campaigns. They aren't just looking into camera and talking and asking for money. There's telling stories within their campaign videos. I would suggest trying to do that.

Hope that helps a little...

Last edited:
Gotta be honest... Without smaller paragraphs, it's really really really difficult to read that.

Also, you're a freshman in college. Do you have any shorts under your belt? It seems like you're trying to get a lot of money (perhaps not when it comes to "blockbuster" films but a lot of money when you're asking for donations. The kickstarter page is really really lacking in structure. This may not seem important but if you're the writer of the script that you're pitching and you're not drawing us in we will expect the same of the final product.

I'm not saying my page is amazing but notice how I broke up the paragraphs (i just grabbed this form a template) http://www.indiegogo.com/pterodactylsurprise

Also notice that I put my director's experience and showed some of his work in the projects. Let's people know what he's capable of. Take a look around all of the sites and look at the successful campaigns. They aren't just looking into camera and talking and asking for money. There's telling stories within their campaign videos. I would suggest trying to do that.

Hope that helps a little...

At least someone finally tells me that. :P Freshman in college with experience, yes. I put my Youtube channel to check out videos I've made: ranging from short films to feature length. Yes (seeing that I need a good crew, stuntmen, lighting, cameras, etc), but I can't even make $100 from donations.. I'll definitely consider indiegogo though. I'll also break up paragraphs, I didn't notice they were all jumbled. I put my experience though but thanks, I'll look into that.

Back