• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Need feedback on a screenplay idea

So back in my senior year for creative writing we had to get together in groups of three and write something. We decided to do part of a screenplay.

The idea was to take a cliche story line about a group of people who go out into the woods for spring break for a little senior trip. On of the kids is an outcast who they invite for fun and get him drunk. When they run out of beer they ask him to go get more knowing that he'd do something stupid since he had never been drunk. He ends up crashing a car over a bridge. The kid ends up dying.

The movie then flashes forward to a school reunion. As a tribute to the kid who died they invite his older brother. For part of the reunion they go to have dinner at the older brother's families house. As they get there the house explodes and they can't find the bodies of the older brother or parents. As time goes on other people start dying. They come to find out that it has to do with the kids death during spring break.

Sorry that the synopsis was really long, but I don't have the old stuff I wrote for it for the class. I wanted to go in depth in the description because it's a movie with a seemingly cliche "I know what you did last summer" storyline. I wanted to write this after seeing Cabin in the Woods because I love movies that take overused storylines and adds crazy twists, which believe me, this screen play will have. So tell me, is this screenplay worth writing?

Sounds very cliche, but then again aren't all movies in one way or another?

Most of those films rely on one thing; good characters. Make sure you care about your characters before you write because if you don't, then the audience/reader won't care either.

Yeah, if there's one thing that's going to be great, it's character development.

As for budget, I'm not to worried right now...this is just something to write. I need to dabble in the world of short films before I go into features.

It's supposed to have that vibe. I even said it does lol. I'm going to be throwing in special twists.

Back