NEED CAMERA ADVICE!! $2500 budget

Hey all,

I'm a newbie here!! I'm looking to film a drama for a web series (audio must be very good.) I am by no means in the industry, I have a full time job so this is just a side project for my friends and I. I need some advice on the best system for $2500 ( needs to be HD)

I am considering..

Sony HDR-FX7 3CMOS HDV 1080i Camcorder
Sony HVR-HD1000U Digital High Definition HDV Camcorder
Panasonic AG-HMC40 AVCCAM HD Camcorder
Canon 7D or 5D.. but I would need audio for this??

Any advice is much appreciated!!!

You're going to need more than just the on camera
mic regardless of which one you get. So think about
budgeting for 1-2 mics, a shotgun for outdoors and
a cardioid condenser mic for indoors (although a lot
of indies get decent enough results from just the
shotgun).

The advantage with the camcorders is that you could
potentially feed the audio right into the camera when
recording so that you don't need to sinc up in post. (Not
that sincing is hard, it's just time consuming)

For narrative work, though, you're going to get better
results with the t2i or 7d or 5d. When properly wielded
they get the best results for the price. Period. Just bear
in mind that you will need an external audio recorder as
recording directly to the camera is not an option
(google: automatic gain control).

I've just ordered a Sony NEX VG10 - not sure when they're actually shipping though - looks like a good package for $2000/£2000 - comes with a decent 18mm-200mm zoom too.

Only downsides are locked frame rates (25p EU/30p US), no pro audio connections (not that I plan on recording audio to the camera anyway) and codec (AVCHD) - it does record at 24Mb/s though which is as good at it gets with that codec.

The other $500 you could spend on lenses - although you'll need an adapter for anything that isn't Sony E mount (only 3 NEX lenses so far - 16mm Prime, 18mm-55mm zoom and the one the VG10 comes with) - we've bought a Sony A-mount adapter and a nice 50mm f1.4 Sony Prime.

I'm no filmmaker (i'm an actor with some learned knowledge of filmmaking)...but I just purchased canon t2i which is half the price of the 7d and we filmed a pretty solid short this past weekend. Already edited and everything:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/5448c67465/it-s-just-a-sandwich

I would suggest this just because you're going to want to get lenses, a couple of filters and SOUND equipment...(the sound equip is mandatory no matter what camera you get) and you can get a shoulder mount relatively cheap and definitely in your price range.

I am a HUGE advocate for indie film making with the Canon DSLR system. But for $2500, I really don't think this is a feasible plan. 5D mark II will be roughly a $5000 investment (body, 1 zoom lens, 1 prime, sound equip, tripod) and if you want a follow-focus rig, that's another $800 to $2500, depending on what quality you want. 7D is really not gonna save you too much money either. Just about $1000 on the body, but aside from that, the other peripherals will cost the same.

A way to skim further is by using archaic lenses, but you have to like the look. I really enjoy using old Nikkor lenses on these Canons. A little vignetting at large apertures, soft focusing, and that "glow" that's hard to explain, but it's very pleasing for me. You'll probably have to buy 2 or 3 primes (any combination of 24, 35, 50, 90 will probably work well).

So.. I guess what I'm saying is.. for a reasonable Canon system for about $2500, this is how I would do it:

Canon 5D mark II - (used) $1900
Lenses - (2 used Nikkor) $500 [for this much doubt you can get anything fast, maybe some good f/2.8)
Lens Adapter - (from ebay) $15 [usually I would suggest the novoflex, but for small primes these will suffice)
Tripod - (used) something manfrotto $180
Sound - mic&boom $200

So you're looking at about $ 1900 + 500 + 15 + 180 + 200 = $2795

Something to think about...

Sound - mic&boom $200

So you're looking at about $ 1900 + 500 + 15 + 180 + 200 = $2795

Something to think about...

I might put closer to 600 on sound if you want anything decent. Booms cost nearly 200 alone add in a decent mic for 300 plus a shockmount and a softie. Plus depending on what you're recording on...you'll need a recorder. My zoom h4n was 300 with a 16mb sd card...and some other nice toys that came with it (pretty similar to other priced recording devices).

bez

Is it possible to get decent sound with just the zoom h4n?

You'll want a decent mic, and a boom, no matter what you're recording to, so I'll agree with bez (I don't see how you could get both, for anywhere near $200).

Also, asphericalperspective, I'm not sure why you would consider the 7D and option, but not the T2i -- unless you're a still photographer, not much of a difference between those two, in my opinion.

Sorry, you guys are definitely right $200 for mic&boom is unrealistic. I mis-calculated.

As for the 7D vs T2i, you're right. I am a photographer and the ergonomics of the 7D is far superior to that of the Rebel. And the images really speak for themselves.

I'm not going to say I haven't gotten some great sound from the h4n but I don't think its too practical. I did some shots with it outside on a busy street in la and with a red head on it was great but could you imagine booming that thing? Its clunky and awkward. Depending on where you are you can buy the recording device and rent the Mic and boom. I rented a sennheiser mic and boom for 25 for the entire weekend.

I rented a sennheiser mic and boom for 25 for the entire weekend.

Wow. That's awesome. But that's definitely not a rental price that exists everywhere.

And I don't have to imagine booming the H4n -- that's all I've ever done with it. I can't say I ever felt like it was clunky or awkward, and I can't figure out how something becomes less clunky or awkward by not booming it.

Thanks for all of the advice!!

Here is what I will be going with... any objections???

Canon EOS 7D Digital SLR Camera with Canon EF 28-135mm IS lens
The Zoom h4n
Rode NTG2
Rode Boompole for Rode NTG-1, NTG-2 and Video Mic (10')
Rode DeadCAT Windjammer

Everyone think this will cover me for decent sound and good quality video for a drama web series shot 95% indoors???

out of curiousity...why the 7d over the t2i?

Oh and CF, how are you booming the h4n? It would seem clunky to me because its heavy and not shaped like a shotgun mic.

Last edited:
out of curiousity...why the 7d over the t2i?

Oh and CF, how are you booming the h4n? It would seem clunky to me because its heavy and not shaped like a shotgun mic.

First, let me echo your question -- why the 7D over the T2i? I'm not saying it isn't a valid choice, but let's just make sure that decision isn't being made arbitrarily, just because it's more expensive, and thus assumed to be better. From the perspective of shooting video, the practical differences are minimal. The big differences are for still photographers.

On the question of booming the H4n, it seems we have had a serious miscommunication. I'm not putting the H4n on the end of a stick. I have a shotgun mic (NTG2) on the end of a stick, plugged into the H4n. I guess I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. That would be crazy to try and put the H4n on a boom.

bbmagee, the kit lens that comes with the T2i is sometimes rather convenient, and it only adds $100 to the package price, leaving you plenty more left over for primes.

Back