Need advice on International distribution deal

Hey Folks,

An international distributor in UK is offering 15-20% after recoupment of costs (censor, replication etc) for sale of dvd and split 50/50 for VOD that they normally get around 75% of.. Does this seem like a fair deal or should I be asking for more? Or anything upfront? I know international tends not to pay as well, but really want to get this thing out there..Should I look around for other distributors?

Can't help you on the numbers, but it's worth bearing in mind that the UK as a territory is about half the geographical size of California. The margins are going to be tighter.

"Need advice on International Distribution deal"

Hey Folks,

An international distributor in UK is offering 15-20% after recoupment of costs (censor, replication etc) for sale of dvd and split 50/50 for VOD that they normally get around 75% of.. Does this seem like a fair deal or should I be asking for more? Or anything upfront? I know international tends not to pay as well, but really want to get this thing out there..Should I look around for other distributors?

I agree with ad2478. I think letting us know the name of the distributor will at least let me look into the distributors finances to see if they are succesful enough to help you.

a 50/50 split of the DVD sales is good, while 15- 20% of the film is making up for the additional 25% they usually get off DVD. You should get 25% of the total film and maybe a 60-40 in their favor of the DVD sales.

You might want to compare your film to another film just like yours to see if the spread is fair enough for you, check out my blog post : http://moviedistributionfacts.wordpress.com/2008/05/26/reviewing-top-box-office-chart-information-
eg-spiderman/
for more information.

Jonathan
http://moviedistributionfacts.wordpress.com/

I wanted to know normally a distribution company takes what % of DVD sales??? eliminating their promotionla expenses which occured on promotion of our movie(Obviously on DVDs only)

If you live in America then you should ONLY be accepting buyouts for foreign rights. Do you know how much it costs to litigate overseas when they don't pay (which they usually don't)? Like $500 and hour. Take between $5,000 (no stars) and $50,000 (2 B-list stars). Once you have a real offer (of a buyout) then don't enter into any deal without a lawyer reviewing the contract.

Back