NAB Show 2013

With the NAB show coming up soon, what do you think will be the buzz this year and possible new product sneek peek on the horizon?

I think with Blackmagic Design still not at mass production with their camera, other camera manufacturers will be stepping it up with bold new releases with RAW capable cameras at competitive prices.

RED will showcase their REDray products, namely the projector and the player, both of which will have ship dates. They'll launch odemax.com and start really pushing that. They'll start telling you that 4K home viewing is what you need immediately. They likely talk about odemax.com's potential for the indie filmmaker, which most should take notice of. They'll also really be pushing their Dragon sensor and how it's the 'be all and end all' of digital cinema.

Panasonic will have another prototype of their 4K Varicam. Will probably be closer to a production model. They may even have an official announcement and release date, but I think that'll be more like 2014. Either way, there should be some progression on the prototype. They'll likely be touting the 8k readout from the sensor. If there is mention of price, it'll likely slot around the F55. Picture quality I would imagine to be a cross between the F55 and the Alexa. P2 card recording with some kind of AVCHD codec. Hopefully we'll see some footage, and hopefully such footage will be what I'm expecting.. Probably some kind of refresh to their Prosumer and Broadcast lines.

Sony will have their F5 and F55 on display with the OLED EVF. They may announce some kind of software improvement for the cameras. They'll also have their 4k on-set monitor on display and probably be pushing 4k on-set monitoring.

Blackmagic will be assuring us they will be mass shipping soon... maybe a PL mount version announcement (although considering they haven't even began making their m4/3 version, maybe they won't be too hasty on that). I have a feeling that the Blackmagic focus might be on the rest of their product range, unless of course they are mass shipping by April.

Zeiss will have their anamorphics on display, and will probably have release information. Maybe a new lens or two. Arri will be showcasing Alexa M's 3D ability. Arri might shake things up with a 4k camera, but that's more likely for 2014 IMO.

Canon will have their now-selling Cinema lenses on display, coupled with the now-selling 1Dc. I fully expect them to announce more lenses (possibly a super-wide, and hopefully a 35mm and 100mm to make it a set actually worth looking at). No-one will care as they'll still be EF mount. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go for a PL mount version of their Cinema EF line of lenses. Maybe another awful Cx00 camera.

Aaton will hopefully be pushing the Penelope Delta. Everyone will love the footage, and hate the price tag.

And a plethora of other things. I think 3D will be big this year at NAB. Possibly HFR technology as well. In the post world, maybe cloud-based stuff will be the push this year.

Last edited:
Back