• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My very first stab at a screen play..

So, you guys have been awesome in encouraging me to start giving screen writing a try, even though I'm very new to it (I have a digtial art / media / photography background). I am really attracted to directing and achieving a great aesthetic look, but I'm expanding and taking on some screen writing challenges..

I know the format is completely wrong, but I just focused on making it readable.

It's called Quantum. A short story loosely based in the realm of quantum physics, with infinite possiblites, and objects able to appear in multiple places at the same time.

This is an incomplete first draft, but just literally the first words I've ever put on paper in script form. Yay for adventure! :D link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16CfeojDiJjYeyfoIK2cRyGx9nJkB0Z6W3lLkm6k0gns/edit?usp=sharing

I liked how you transitioned to action abruptly after the hospital scene. I'll be interested to see how the two worlds connect. Not to mention you left it on a cliffhanger :)

Thanks guys!!

I've had the biggest writers block, and its like it all unleashed at the same time. I'm having trouble writing it all down to keep pace. I'm just trying to focus on the old show-don't-tell and making sure I properly set up the script in the first 10 pages or so (to lead to my first inciting incident).

PS, spoiler alert.. Inciting incident #1.. James Locke goes in pursuit of another individual in a different jump (a different quantum reality), hot on the tail of the perp, he turns a corner and it's not the perp, but his wife. I'm also playing around with some non-linear elements to the story as well (like what lead up to her in the hospital bed).

I'll post some more soon!

Is this a String Theory of Time and Space Parallel Universe story?

Yes I'm drawing a lot of elements from string theory as well, but the interactions between Emma and James taking place in the apartment are flash backs from 2 years prior to her death. My plan is the script to unfold as James sees his wife Emma in the alternate universe, and attempts to bring her back with him to his reality, at the opposition of his employer and the limitations of the technology itself.

(Obviously I'm still figuring this stuff out too haha)

Last edited:
I'm also really taking a close look at Inception, to see how such an increadibly complex set of rules is explained in a way that doesn't bog down the story, but propels it, so that the audience can really place themselves in the story, instead of making flow charts about how exactly the rules of that universe are said to be.

Back