• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch My Stepdad's A Freakin' Vampire!

I have to say, it looks like it could be good. I'm really impressed with the make-up I saw in the trailer. Sounds like there is some snow in the sound. Don't if that's just my conn or if it's really in the audio. The one thing that I did not like was the lighting on the dark parts, it was way to dark for my taste. All in all looks good.

Impressive for sure. Technically it's great...extremely well fashioned. The camera work, the lighting, the makeup effects, even the graphic design...all superb.

I'd be very curious to what this was shot on, and what the budget was. I know I know...bad questions...tactless...but I really would like to know what it takes to reach this level of low-budget professionalism. Are any of the actors SAG?

(EDIT: ahh...75K. That's higher than I thought, if you can believe it. I figured it was around 50K. That's not at all knocking the quality...I was just thinking it was more sweat equity and less budget...)

Nice work. You do realize there is a film in the late 80's called 'My Best Friends a Vampire'. I'm sure you guys knew that.

I'm very impressed. This goes to show you that you don't need millions of dollars to make a film that looks fantastic.

Last edited:
Wow!!! Really nice work! It looks awesome! I watched some of the behind the scenes stuff on your website too and am really impress with the FX and CGI work you guys did. No doubt you guys are gonna be swept up by a big company sometime soon :) Congrats!

my stepdad vampire

It was filmed with a panasonic HVX200 in 720 24p. Everything was filmed with a redrock micro 35 mm adapter. I used Nikon lenses but for the effects shots I did not use the redrock micro.

Thanks for everyone's positive feedback, its really good to hear! We should be posting new featurettes on you tube each week if you want to subscribe to our channel. Episode 3 should be coming out on the 31st.

As far as the budget goes and the hard work balance goes, there was definitely no shortage of hard work. We've worked on this for 2 years and the director did all of the effects, editing, and most of the hard work himself. Its been a lot of work for a group of people all 23 years old and younger. The budget went to a lot of different things. For instance, we bought all of the equipment (the hd camera, crane, etc) instead of renting it. That was a good 15k right there, and all of the equipment is reusable for future movies. We paid all the actors a good amount, we fed all the actors and crew every day (2 meals a day for 10 people for 2 months adds up), etc. So a lot of the money has no effect on the actual movie per say, since we never hired any one to do special effects or anything for us. The only real outsourcing we did for a part of the movie is the dvd cover artwork and the original score for the movie. Just thought I'd comment on that a little bit.

As far as the snow in the sound goes, that may be true. The trailer was made before all of the sound was even close to finished. A lot of work has been put into the sound and it sounds good now.

Thanks for checking us out! :)
Blair

Well...that's incredible. I'm blown away by the outcome. It's just amazing what--no offense--a bunch of kids can do in a garage. When films like this are able to hit shelves, Hollywood better watch its ass. I can't believe the final look you guys accompished on a 720p camera. Great work in post...

Your explaination is exactly what I thought the budget would be used for. And that's why I thought it would be lower. We basically used our budget for the same thing (minus the lenses and adapters and paying our actors a 'good amount'.) That's very cool of you to pay your actors well. That's something you don't see in indie film often.

I still think 75K is pretty high for a picture where the director did the CG and makeup effects, and a lot of the shots were done in the basement. Man...you guys must pay handsomely...not to mention feed them extremely well.

Good for you. You guys are an inspiration.

Now if only I could get my director to use lenses and adapters for some wicked DOF...we might up our movie to the next production-value level.

Back