• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My script idea

Okay so I'm going to start writing a script soon. I need some help. Its about a normal everyday guy who gets fed up with people. Like at work and people in general. One day at work he starts thinking of a way to kill his coworker. Then day after day he thinks of ways to kill people that he has met that are rude or just annoying. But at the end as you think he is just imagining this in his head he actually did kill all those people. Its kinda like fight club how tyler durgen is not real. Something in those lines. How would I write something like that? Its very complex.

One way: use an effect (ee.gg. lens is his moving POV, or scene is tinged a particular color, or sounds are incredibly crisp - something you could write into a script) whenever he's having the fantasy. Allow the script to play out in such a way that the audience can imagine this IS a fantasy (and you can't cheat and have the same effect used in another context) - perhaps that each fantasy is progressively more bizarre and dreamlike, and we never see the reality through anyone else's perception. Midpoint or End of Act 2: we get information that something a person in the 'fantasy' has died, but it's left obscure as to the circumstances. Act 3 is the character trying to sort out what's really happening. Finally, at the end, the effect is used when he kills a person we've come to care about.

...sounds a lot like American Psycho, even to the part of turning out that he did not kill them, but it was all in his head...

Or did he kill them???? Who knows...

I agree though. Sounds a lot like American Psycho. If I were writing this, I wouldn't do anything fancy. When writing any screenplay, you need to write exactly what the audience will see. I'm assuming the viewer is suppsed to believe he's really killing them, right up until the end. Don't give them any clues, no fancy camera tricks. Just write exactly what you want to show on screen. The reader will have to figure it all out exactly as a viewer would when watching the film.

If you want to give some clues, try something like having him murder somebody, then immediately wake up in bed. That way we won't know if it was a dream, or if he actually just went to bed after the murder.

I think you should make him imagine killing all his co-workers, and at the end he did actually, but don't make it blatant, hint to it, and if I was to write such a script it'd be more focused on reasoning their death, and justifying, and sort of having the protagonist develop a second personality, which justifys there murder. That's just my opinion, I've got about a dozen half finished screenplays now, and I think it'd be a new interesting take, and turn away from the similarities of films, like American Psycho. But, in the end it's up to you, and you got to write your, this is nothing but me, throwing my two cents in.

I like the above idea, but I've gotta admit the idea doesn't do a whole lot for me. That's just one movie nerd's opinion. I'd love to see an actual script, because a good writer could still take that somewhat familiar notion and have a hell of a lot of fun with it. The concept hasn't been completely exhausted yet. Not by any means.

Back