• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

my new short- STATIC

I have this idea for a movie, which is up and coming, I gave it the name static. I'm not writing the script or anything but i'll give you the plot and the theme. Its not a totally oringal plot either, but its theme i want to convey the most. So give me your comments and ways i can improve

The setting is the present in an unknown town(town not important to plot) and a solar disturbance from the sun has hit the earth causing communication problems on cell phones, internet, etc. I will use a fake radio broadcast to tell the audience that this is happening. So with all this going on a man by the name of david Hughes, who is somewhat emotionally detached, plagued by headaches and nightmares, and is in love with his girlfriend but doesn't know how to show it, calls his voicemail on his cell phone and because of the solar disturbance he ends up talking to himself in the future when he is already dead. The phone calls continue and each of them find out that they are one in the same person(theres is more detail i'm just not going into it). The dead david died after he shot a man, the man he thought his girlfriend was cheating on, then his girlfriend gets his gun after he leaves it on the floor and kills him. The dead david tells this to his past self, not to tell him to go do it again, but to not do it because he realized in death that it wasn't worth it and that maybe he should of thought it through. The news of his girlfriend cheating on him devastates the alive David and is thrown into a world of paranoia, thinking that his girlfriend is going behind his back and doing things that he wouldn't approve of. Needless to say, he doesn't take the advice of his former self and ends up in the same situation, but then realizes he has a choice to kill this man or not. He makes his decision and does not kill the man, instead he leaves the man and woman and runs outside to get hit by a car. But was his death for nothing, the first time he died because of lust and love, this time it was an accident that saves lives. The car that hits him is a group of anarchists who plan to go blow up a bank. when they hit david, which kills david instantly, it also kills most of their group and injures the rest. The police find the explosives in the remains of the car and thus the act of terrorism is stopped.

Now the whole point and theme i want to convey is that our fates are sealed and that even with the knowledge of the future we can't escape our ultimate fate, but we can make choices that change events and how things happen but they all lead to the same thing.
For example:
The old quote that goes something like a path splits off and the man has to make a choice on which path to take, but the paths will meet up in the end, but the paths are different in how they get there.

So yall let me know what yall think

grandfather paradox:

a man goes back in time and kills his grandfather.
His grandfather doesn't have a son who doesn't have a son.
The man cannot go back in time to kill his grandfather.
The grandfather has a son who has a son....

If the catalyst of this action is a phone call saying he died because of X causing X not to happen, the phone call would have gone differently. If you can find a way to rectify that logical dilemma, it sounds great...maybe he percieves that he did the crime right before he dies making the cycle complete again which enables the initial phone call.

Sorry, I hate back in time movies, unless you're going to the future on a one way ticket. I just don't think it's possible to travel backward in time.

I don't mind critting your script once you've written it.

Time travel paradox flicks are :cool:

You should bone up on some Heinlein books. The Number of the Beast & The Cat Who Walks Through Walls cover paradox a lot, and may give you some ideas.

Back