My footage keeps pausing in Premiere Pro.

I can't play scenes back in PP, that have fast movement in. As soon as fast movement comes, the video keeps pausing. I would have to render a copy of the movie, to make sure if the audio is in sync, and the edits look just right, when they begin and end, but it gets really annoying to have to make a copy of a scene, just to view it in context. Is there anything I can do in the program so it will not pause during fast movement scenes?

It sounds like your computer isn't up to the task. Try adding more ram, SSD hard drive(s), a faster CPU or a combination of all three.

What version of Premier are you using? From what I've learnt, it isn't as much of an issue in CS6 with their new caching system, so long as you have enough ram.

Alternatively, you could edit using lower resolution footage.

Not sure if you are editing on a desktop or a laptop. But on my laptop, when trying to play back 1080p files in either cs5.5 or vlc, quictime, etc it struggles on the internal battery, but as soon as I plug my laptop into mains power, it can play back the files without a hitch.

How's is your footage stored? On the same hard drive as the program? I have a desktop system, and my main drive holds all my programs, and I have a secondary drive that holds all the footage, and a third drive that is the scratch drive. I found if I tried to edit footage that was stored on the program drive, it would bog my system down.

I have Premiere 5.5 and I was told by Adobe that I would need 16 gigs of ram to run it, which is what I have. Think I would still need more?

It depends. 16gig is usually enough, but it does depend on how big what you're working with. If the combined files are larger than that, then probably not (also depends on what software is running, etc. etc).

It could also have something to do with your video card and your CPU. If they're a little slow, then you might struggle and get issues like you have. Also, what resolution is what you're trying to edit? 1080p, 4k, 720p? The larger the resolution, the more work your computer going to have to do and it'll do more churning and need better hardware to keep up.

The HDD is also something that can still slow it down.

Okay thanks. I only save a back up copy to the HDD though, I don't use it while editing. But it's not that since I tried editing with it, unplugged, and it still pauses during fast movement. I edit with the format at 1080p.

I'd need to know your project settings, what type of video card (is it an official Nvidia mercury engine playback?), what is the exact format of the footage (IE camera used, settings, and the codec), and what the sequence settings are too.

For Adobe CS5.5, the Nvidia official sanctioned cards are worth more than the 8 gig of extra RAM in terms of playback performance of timelines.

You can also right click the source monitor and timeline monitor and turn down the playback resolution to HALF to increase performance, which will NOT affect your output at the end.

RAM doesn't sound like the issue. I edit on CS4 with 8GB ram and have never had that kind of error... I've had errors, but never pausing.

You could try pressing 'enter' (or 'return') which then does a quick render inside of Premiere, I often have to do this when I have multiple layers of footage, each with color correction etc

Are you using a portable hard drive?? if so, i was taught it needs to be 7900 rpm (or something like that) or issues will come up ..just a thought...are there other programs you are using in the background like After Effects?

Back