• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

My first Script to sell - Sci-Fi or Drama?

I have no sold scripts, but I have one ready - Sci-Fi. As far as I know, I almost have no chances to sell it to a good producer with a lot of budget. As I know, Sci-Fi genre movies need a large budget, otherwise they just fail. So I need some portfolio to sell this script to a good producer.

On the other hand, I have a drama idea, a little similar to 8 mile. This story doesn't need much SFX, choreography, decorations, or anything not realistic. I think movies in this genre can be made at low budget and not get hurt.

So what do you suggest to begin with? A Sci-Fi script, or a drama about a Rapper and only then the Sci-Fi?

That was my question at the first post: should I write a screenplay in different genre, which is a drama about a Rap singer? If I do, I can sell this script to some of the "smaller guys", without being afraid that they screw it up because of low budget. I mean, dramas usually don't require large investments, as Sci-Fis do. And if the movie succeeds, I will have more options of who to sell the script to, ignoring the "smaller guys".

I recommend writing something that doesn't require many special effects, or other things that could complicate shooting (music, well known actors, locations that you are near, etc.). You can make a science fiction film that is low budget if you limit things such as special effects and other things that will complicate production.

Well, it did only 1 million at the box office, not multi-millions. However, its director got some good awards.

I watched it, and what I want to say, is this movie is not really a Sci-Fi. I mean, it is Sci-Fi, because of its idea, concept and story... but the movie is about people who try to escape their terrible pasts. Sci-Fi here is what I call - Off Screen setting. We don't actually see anything Sci-fictional there.

Nevertheless, it is a great movie for 200k budget.

In my Sci-Fi script, the Protagonists spends nearly half of the movie on planet Earth just doing "human things". Yah I've got all kinds of space ships and shit ...but her journey is the story.

I hate to rag on Dune so much, but that's what you get when the effects outweigh the story.

-Birdman

..."Bring in the floating fat man!"

Write something that someone you know wants to produce - in any genre.

Don't even waste time writing a sci fi spec script for "Hollywood" to foot the bill on.

Okay, I'm calling you out on this one. Dune is about discovering how much money a production studio can waste on a humongous 2.5 hour butt-numbing flop. ...The best part of the movie was Sting's hairdo.

Birdman
In my Sci-Fi script, the Protagonists spends nearly half of the movie on planet Earth just doing "human things". Yah I've got all kinds of space ships and shit ...but her journey is the story.

I hate to rag on Dune so much, but that's what you get when the effects outweigh the story.

Whoa! Dune (if we're talking about the 2000 year trilogy) wasn't that bad. And it didn't have that much special effects. In fact, it had more story and philosophy.

Don't even waste time writing a sci fi spec script for "Hollywood" to foot the bill on.

Of course my first priority is that I want to tell a story to the world, not the money.
You know, if I was offered to write screenplays for a hobby, and my only salary would be seeing my every story on the screen, I would agree. But then again, I need much money so that I could sit all the time at home and write...

Whoa! Dune (if we're talking about the 2000 year trilogy) wasn't that bad. And it didn't have that much special effects. In fact, it had more story and philosophy.

I picked 2.5 hrs. of popcorn out of my ass at the theater when it came out. Dune sucked. ...and If it was made into a trilogy, then it probably sucked three times more than it did before.

Of course my first priority is that I want to tell a story to the world, not the money. You know, if I was offered to write screenplays for a hobby, and my only salary would be seeing my every story on the screen, I would agree. But then again, I need much money so that I could sit all the time at home and write...

...Ya know, I've gone through 40 kinds of hell trying to convince people on this forum that getting a screenplay sold is not a "lost cause" proposition. That there is at the very least a glimmer of hope for the Spec Script writer. ..................But you take the cake, buddy!

I'd hold out for a shiny red Maserati and a personal masseuse to go with that long-term screenplay writing contract.

-Birdman

Last edited:
Are you having a go at this young man?

No. Deadly serious.

What do you mean "Attach" a celeb? I'm writing a script, not chosing actors to play in the movie.

Selling your script usually happens when the production is financed. Until then, you're only getting an option (which often doesn't even pay, and if it does, rarely a lot). Attaching stars is usually a producers job. This means your future is in someone elses hands.

There's a saying, if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Meaning: Continue to do what you do and you'll continue to get the results you already get. To get more, you have to do something different.

This is good advice.

If you want an exercise to see what sells, try calling a foreign distribution company. Tell them you have a movie for sale. Let us know what the first 2 questions they ask. I'd bet the first two questions are "What is it?" and "Who's in it?". Want a more accurate answer to your situation, ask for a pre-sale and see if the questions change.

There's a saying, if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Meaning: Continue to do what you do and you'll continue to get the results you already get. To get more, you have to do something different.

tumblr_mt5fxakgHu1s9v5qzo1_400.jpg

-Birdman

Selling your script usually happens when the production is financed. Until then, you're only getting an option (which often doesn't even pay, and if it does, rarely a lot). Attaching stars is usually a producers job. This means your future is in someone elses hands.

Doing something different in this case, is attaching actors because nobody has done it before. Did you mean that? Sounds crazy, unique and worth trying... If I was in charge of production!

Suppose I mention in my query/synopsis/script that I want Christian Bale or Will Smith as the main role. Great! Then what?! Does that promise he will be in that movie?... Come on!

I know that famous actors is what sells the movie. I know, man. But the producer has his own way, and he won't do things "just because the writer says so".

There is got to be a logic, a reason. Otherwise your "you have to do something different" sounds like, - "Go and pee against the wind, because it's different. Nobody has done it before!"

Back