Muzaks Are Fun! - A Question in Two Parts

So...it's come to this...

Nah, but really. I'm a musician. I assume some of you are too. So these questions, ladies and gents..are for you.

1. Do you play, and if so what?

2. Does what you play influence the soundtrack for the stuff you work on? This goes for actual audio/soundtrack stuff as well as what you listen to when editing or writing.

For me... I play guitar and piano, mostly singer/songwriter stuff (and no, I'm not going to shamelessly plug my SoundCloud at this point). I like to play with sounds of things when they come together. Editing a piano track to back guitar/vox, etc.

When I write (all I do at this point), I go with something with a steady guitar or bassline. Keeps me focused. Although I've been known to rach out to Rachmaninov and chill to Chopin. And puns. I like puns.

There are, in fact, lots of music-type folks around! Welcome to the bunch!

1) What I can get my hands on. In my current band, I'm handling electronics/synths, guitar (6 and 12 string) and lap dulcimer. I've also performed live with bass, mandolin, fiddle, harp and miscellaneous weird electronics. For soundtracks, I've also played and recorded hammered dulcimer, toy accordeon, banjo, stylophone and, of course, various orchestral arrangements.

2) Well, what I work on is music, so yes, you could say that!

And, yes, you should shamelessly plug your soundcloud! That's what social networking is all about! To that end, you can hear my band at https://soundcloud.com/ghost-estate and some miscellaneous odds and ends at https://soundcloud.com/joshloughrey (some of the soundtrack work, but really I use that page more to play old stuff for friends. I really ought to do something more productive with it, but most of my score work is over on http://www.reverbnation.com/joshloughrey anyway) Put up your link and I'll follow! This goes for anyone else posting too!

Epic! I'll check your SC out. Mine's in a state of flux. Working on getting newer stuff up and older crap off. But you better believe I'll be shamelessly plugging away.

Side note: I've been wanting to pick up mandolin, actually. Assuming you were a guitar player first, how massive was the transition?

I picked up mandolin pretty quickly. For melodic playing, it's pretty similar (only strings in fifths instead of fourths), so a lot of scales and techniques translate well. For chords, it's like a mirror image of the lower four strings of a guitar. So you'd fret a G major 3-2-0-0, on a mandolin you play 0-0-2-3 That'll get you going until you learn some of the other chord forms. And that in turn helped develop chops for when I picked up fiddle. Also, if your fingers feel too cramped on a mandolin, grab an octave mandolin. Tuned one octave lower, and a longer scale (but still shorter than a guitar), that can be a good instructional stepping stone. Lots of fun to play, and if you're thinking of it, I'd recommend it!

Spiffyness. It'll probably be my next big music-related purchase. I had actually been wondering about the tuning of it, and that's now another selling point for me. A lot of the weird stuff I do with chords are mostly on those strings. Epic. :cool:

Back