• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music supervision

Looking to get into music supervision. Currently reading a few books on it. Enrolled at Full Sail's music business bachelors program. Trying to learn the trade but its almost impossible to get my foot in the door anywhere without experience. Anyone have any ideas? I was wondering if I found someone on the forums that had a film they were trying to have music put in, that I could do it for them for free? Is this a good way to start building a portfolio? Thanks guys.

Your knowledge of music has to be encyclopedic. How are you on Gregorian Chant, or Delta Blues, or Big Band Swing? Not to mention several dozen other genres and eras. How is your knowledge of music theory? You should know some of the basics there, too.

Like most of us, you'll have to work freebees until you're established. Spend your time getting to intimately know all of the Royalty Free music libraries out there. Become very familiar with the numerous indie music sites. Establish relationships with as many composers as you possibly can. Get to know audio post professionals like myself and APE (Audio Post Expert); we are often asked to locate music supervisors, and the reverse is also true; you may be asked about audio post professionals.

The basics of entertainment law are also very helpful.

Your knowledge of music has to be encyclopedic. How are you on Gregorian Chant, or Delta Blues, or Big Band Swing? Not to mention several dozen other genres and eras. How is your knowledge of music theory? You should know some of the basics there, too.

Like most of us, you'll have to work freebees until you're established. Spend your time getting to intimately know all of the Royalty Free music libraries out there. Become very familiar with the numerous indie music sites. Establish relationships with as many composers as you possibly can. Get to know audio post professionals like myself and APE (Audio Post Expert); we are often asked to locate music supervisors, and the reverse is also true; you may be asked about audio post professionals.

The basics of entertainment law are also very helpful.

Thanks for the insight. I do need to get some experience on the less popular musical genres. As far as Gregorian chants would that be songs such as O fortuna or Duel of the Fates? I am getting myself familiar with both free and non-free libraries. As far as entertainment and business law those are classes I will be taking shortly. Where is a good spot on the forum to offer such services for free? Anything else you can advise to point me in the right direction in terms of getting hands on with things? I'm currently reading the two main music supervision books and they are helping, but it is obviously more helpful to speak with someone whom has done it first hand. Thanks again!

I go back to my first post - "Your knowledge of music has to be encyclopedic." As a music supervisor you're the one who has to offer very, very rapid alternatives to whatever pops up.

You need to spend A LOT of time going through "Top 100" lists and listening to them. This includes "world" music and "ancient" forms.

As far as getting gigs you have to actively go out and seek opportunities. Every time you see a new project going into production or post you should contact the producer/director and offer your services - for free.

thanks for the insight. how is business being in CT? I used to live in Waterbury, so I see you are fairly close to NY. Do you think NY is viable for this field or is LA a better approach.

L.A. is where it's at; NYC, Atlanta and Nashville are the other media hubs.

Biz here - for me at least - is spotty. I'm crazed for a while, then twiddling my thumbs (well, marketing, doing the books, etc., but not "real" work). Currently I'm pretty busy, but right now in the NY Metro area the "Ins" are in at the top and upper mid levels, and the rest of us are competing fiercely for the everything else.

L.A. is where it's at; NYC, Atlanta and Nashville are the other media hubs.

Biz here - for me at least - is spotty. I'm crazed for a while, then twiddling my thumbs (well, marketing, doing the books, etc., but not "real" work). Currently I'm pretty busy, but right now in the NY Metro area the "Ins" are in at the top and upper mid levels, and the rest of us are competing fiercely for the everything else.

Yea that's what it seems like. I'm right outside of Philly just trying to build my resume. Interning with a small production company and volunteering at film festivals hoping to meet the right people. Once schools done I'll most likely be aiming for LA. Do most supervisors work freelance or for companies. I still cant decide if this job is more rooted in film or music industry. Obviously I know its about music, but are majority employed by studios?

As a no budget film maker starting to work with a composer for the first time, how can you help me as a music supervisor?

I can research royalty free music for you to place in films. By giving me a description of the project, I can work to find a selection of songs to present to you. Utilizing your artistic vision and the genre of music you are seeking I can seek to provide various choices. If you are not interested in pre-made music I can try and find a composer whom is willing to create an original score while only receiving end title credits. My duty would then be to become the liaison between you two so that you can focus solely on your project while I relay your ideas to the composer.

Also, are you seeking simply song suggestions, or would you need them cut and synched to the scene?

Last edited:
I can research royalty free music for you to place in films. By giving me a description of the project, I can work to find a selection of songs to present to you. Utilizing your artistic vision and the genre of music you are seeking I can seek to provide various choices. If you are not interested in pre-made music I can try and find a composer whom is willing to create an original score while only receiving end title credits. My duty would then be to become the liaison between you two so that you can focus solely on your project while I relay your ideas to the composer.

Also, are you seeking simply song suggestions, or would you need them cut and synched to the scene?

I found a composer that I am starting to work with, so it doesn't sound like I'm in need of your serves. I was curious since I've never read anyone talk about a music supervisor.

Would have been handy for me in the past though!
I spent a long time listening to various tracks to include them in my short, before I met a composer.

I found a composer that I am starting to work with, so it doesn't sound like I'm in need of your serves. I was curious since I've never read anyone talk about a music supervisor.

Would have been handy for me in the past though!
I spent a long time listening to various tracks to include them in my short, before I met a composer.

Well if you ever find yourself having difficulties consantly keeping in touch with a composer that is where I would come in. Or if you decide pre-made tracks from indie-artists are your liking please feel free to contact me.

Back