• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music for a short thriller

Hi guys! So I have this short film of about a minute and I've been trying to compose music for it. It is mainly a piano playing but I can't get what I really want. Can anybody give me some advice? Or if someone is willing to lend me their music that'd be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

What I mean by I don't get what I want is that the sound I have is not lets say appropiate for the mood of the film. I was wondering how do the composers get the inspiration for their music when it comes to a film?

For me I watch the film or scene about 5 times through with no audio. Once I get the idea of what is going on, I think of what the people are saying and doing. I use the emotion shown in their face and body language to know what style of playing I will do. Then I just start with a simple loop and build on it. Once I have a base then I start looking for my transitions in the scene to make for good hit points. Then I add in the dialogue or sound FX if it came with any and tweak my work from there.

Back