• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Music for a short thriller

Hi guys! So I have this short film of about a minute and I've been trying to compose music for it. It is mainly a piano playing but I can't get what I really want. Can anybody give me some advice? Or if someone is willing to lend me their music that'd be much appreciated! Thanks in advance

It is mainly a piano playing but I can't get what I really want. Can anybody give me some advice? Or if someone is willing to lend me their music that'd be much appreciated!

I think you need to be more specific. 'I can't get what I really want' gives us no detail.

Is you piece totally missing the mark? Have you composers block? Are you not syncing with the visuals well enough?

If you just want to use music composed by someone else, I'd probably start a new thread with new subject title if you get no response here after a week or so.

Royalty free music is another good option. Do a search here on 'royalty' and you'll get lots of great links.

Last edited:
What I mean by I don't get what I want is that the sound I have is not lets say appropiate for the mood of the film. I was wondering how do the composers get the inspiration for their music when it comes to a film?

What I mean by I don't get what I want is that the sound I have is not lets say appropiate for the mood of the film.

You should hire a composer. Many people on IT are willing to work for free.

I was wondering how do the composers get the inspiration for their music when it comes to a film?

One way musicians get inspiration is by listening to music that is similar in the mood/style of the music they are trying to create. But there are many ways. David gets inspiration for his films and music by painting and sculpting.

BOY-LIGHTS-FIRE.jpg

david-lynch-eat-my-fear.jpg

I know a composer, Tim Story, that could probably share me where he gets his inspiration. I'll write back when I find out.

Where do composers get inspiration for film music? From the film! The way the actors move, the emotions they're feeling, sometimes the way a certain scene is lit...tons and tons of ways.

But, if you are stuck, watch a bunch of films with similar scene. Listen to what they have done. Try and figure out why they're using the tones they're using, or the arrangement they're using. Don't copy the music, of course, but see if you can use the techniques. If you've decided what you really want is a piano score, listen to other piano scores. When I get stuck (everyone does sometimes), I switch over to youtube and pull up clips I can learn from.

And if you are really, really stuck and can't get what you want, find someone else to compose for you. But try to communicate what it is you are looking for.

I see what you're saying but I'm barely a musician so I guess that's a reason why I get stuck so often. I know a few people that could make my score but they are busy as of now. I'll try to convince them. Thanks guys. Also, is using royalty free music a good idea? I've heard it is and it makes sense to me but I would like to listen to other's opinions.

About royalty free music...if you are doing this just to learn, then yeah, go for it. If you are doing it for a youtube video, it doesn't matter. But if you're doing it for a festival, rest assured that the selection committee has heard those same exact tracks you've used a thousand times before. Is it a mark against you? I can't say for sure (sometimes it seems like the music is barely a blip on the radar in the no-budget scene) but you definitely aren't going to stand out from the crowd, for good or for bad.

Another thing to bear in mind...as you are learning and practicing, there are lots of composers out there in the same place. They want to learn and practice too. If you feel you aren't good enough to pay someone to compose music, find someone who is on the same level as you. Help him or her learn as you are learning, rather than just throwing down generic music. We're all in this together.

About royalty free music...if you are doing this just to learn, then yeah, go for it. If you are doing it for a youtube video, it doesn't matter. But if you're doing it for a festival, rest assured that the selection committee has heard those same exact tracks you've used a thousand times before. Is it a mark against you? I can't say for sure (sometimes it seems like the music is barely a blip on the radar in the no-budget scene) but you definitely aren't going to stand out from the crowd, for good or for bad.

Another thing to bear in mind...as you are learning and practicing, there are lots of composers out there in the same place. They want to learn and practice too. If you feel you aren't good enough to pay someone to compose music, find someone who is on the same level as you. Help him or her learn as you are learning, rather than just throwing down generic music. We're all in this together.

Yeah that's what I've been thinking. I'm not doing it to submit to a festival any time soon, I'm gathering experience as of now. I do know a couple of people who might be interested but they apparently don't have time, but they said they would be glad to help me in the future. I'm guessing I can use royalty free music for starters and as my films grow and my filmmaking circle grows I can use music composed exclusively for my film. Thanks a lot!

What I mean by I don't get what I want is that the sound I have is not lets say appropiate for the mood of the film. I was wondering how do the composers get the inspiration for their music when it comes to a film?

I think you should look up musical scales and read about what emotions people attach to certain ones.

My favorite scale is D, F, G, G#, A, C, C#, D -> it's kind of bluesy and funky and fun. Playing only the white keys starting at A is another good one.

Scales are a great way to begin a song.

Spend some time listening to some tunes that you enjoy....and, in this case, some differentiation....then try to transcribe a couple of counts, a couple of bars, etc. Doesn't matter if it's John Williams (or Aaron Copland), The Yellow Jackets, Sting. If you can find the sheet music that's a plus. This will allow you to build your ear and to hear (and see with the sheet music/score) what's happening.

- Mike

Back