• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Multiple rendering-copies of copies?

Just wondering, as I posted my short in the screening room:

I used previous footage (in wmv format) to re-edit my short. Is this like copies of copies, and therefore it breaks down the quality of the footage. I know when I watch it, I don't see much difference, but maybe I'm missing something. Also, does this lead the the "flickering" at the the top of the screen-because they are slightly different renders (where the border "flickers"). I tried using a garbage matte, but that "cuts off" the end of the screen.

Just wondering if I go back and use original footage, will that limit "flickering"?

the wmv is a lot more compressed than your original footage should be, so yes you'd be better off starting from the original footage whenever possible.

The flickering you're referring to is probably an interlace issue.

Thanks Will :)

Any suggestions on what optimal format I should use when rendering?

Also, any suggestions about dealing with the interlacing issue, if that's what it is?

Best option is to keep everything is whatever the native format you shot in is, for as long as possible.

Render out the final product in standard DV, or HD format.. then create your distribution versions from there. Worst thing you want is to wind up with only a low quality web version of your work, and then wind up in a situation where you need a better quality for DVD or something along those lines.

Drive space is cheap, if you're running low, get more. ;)

Best option is to keep everything is whatever the native format you shot in is, for as long as possible.

Render out the final product in standard DV, or HD format.. then create your distribution versions from there. Worst thing you want is to wind up with only a low quality web version of your work, and then wind up in a situation where you need a better quality for DVD or something along those lines.

Drive space is cheap, if you're running low, get more. ;)

I have drive space, so I am not do worried about that:)-I though I could only record in WMV as that is the only form that I could put on the web, ect. But I'll play around with the different formats-I'll try DV, thanks!

Still learning about different formats, so I guess I just went with I knew (WMV).

So, I digging through some of the original DV footage (and amazed side by side how much clearer it is to the wmv rendered stuff)-would sound also deteriorate in wmv format? (Not saying this was the only reason, but it might be part of the reason why my sound was poor-combo of camera mic and WMV format?) Anyway, I am going and replacing as much of the wmv with original footage and will render to DV format-be interesting to see how much change there is sound and video :)

So, what I've discovered so far about rendering in DV (other than looking a lot better), the sound seems to improve compared to wmv version. I have already gone on a profanity laced rant in my home about why I didn't do this way originally, instead choosing wmv. Be interesting to see if it solves my interlacing problem was well.

So as it approaches some sort of completion, I am starting to research festivals-an area I have NO experience in. Should be fun.

Other than that-the "what next" question comes up-and there's a thread already dedicated to that question :).

Back