• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch Multimedia tutorial on star power

I guess it's as obvious as peanut butter and jelly, that star power matters. I've been a B-list director for over 25 years, working with B-list performers and a lot of semi-pros. What I've learned from experience is the virture of doing simple stuff, taking time to do it twice or three times, maybe dropping scenes, casting someone else as a replacement and reshooting -- whatever it takes to achieve a good show.

Anyway, I put together a resource for others to consider, especially young people starting out like I did, no film school, no money, no connections. The only thing you can do in those circumstances is study on your own and pretty much ignore what everybody else is doing at the moment. If you were studying at USC, they'd show you Hitchcock and Spielberg as classics. I have a slightly different notion of filmed entertainment, viz:

New multimedia tutorial on star power posted today at
http://www.duckdiversified.com/stars/stars.html

Cyd Charisse Fred Astaire Gene Kelly Jimmy Stewart Jean Arthur
Claude Rains Katherine Hepburn Humphrey Bogart Laurence Olivier
Charleton Heston Steve McQueen Yul Brynner Lee Marvin
Donald O'Connor Charlie Chaplin Zero Mostel Gene Wilder
Peter Sellers Herbert Lom George C Scott Slim Pickens
Frank Sinatra Mick Jagger Annie Lennox pix links videos
authoritative historical overview, no spam, no redirects

:)

Added another page that may be of interest. Three public domain properties that I think are ideal for a first feature project. Cast suggestions, excerpts from the novels, comments on funding, budget.

http://www.duckdiversified.com/movies/movies.html

I had my shot at a first feature in 1984. Wonderful experience, but it was never released, and I moved on to other (ahem) opportunities. The time to shine is in your 30s or early 40s.

Daffy

Back