• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Multicam File Out of Sync?

I shot a multicam setup with 2 Canon 5D Mark iii and 3 Canon T3i's. I recently imported my footage into my computer and noticed that one of the video files from one of the Canon 5D Mark iii's is not nearly as long as the other 4 files and appears to be sped up out of sync. To add to my headache, the cameraman recorded with no sound. Could anyone figure out why this file is faster than the other 4?

Note: I told all cameramen to shoot at 24fps, but this one was shot at 30fps. I converted it to 30fps but it still is sped up and out of sync with the rest.

Import the out of sync video directly into a separate editing session. Is the length now correct? If yes, covert the frame rate while exporting the video. Then import the result into your "master" session.

Yeah, it's a bit long and round-about, but at least you are not "confusing" your master session with multiple frame rates.

I was able to do that to convert the fps to 24 like the other clips, but it was still really out of sync. I just marked two points on the clip and used them to decrease the speed to sync up with the other videos. It plays in sync with the other clips and audio at around 80% with a little motion blur, so that may be the best I can do.

Back