• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Moving pictures in moving frames...

I hope I can ask this question in a way that makes sense. My goal...still is...trying to show frames with photographs...photos that are moving...and the frames are moving...so it looks like photo frames are moving about and the photos inside them are moving.

Now we know this uses at least two tracks. So what do I do?

Do I try to time it (pita) so that the images in the frame move at the exact speed and location as the frame? It seems so painfully time consuming....I tried it...and I haven't gotten it there yet. The frame moves and somewhere along the way...the photograph inside ends up someplace else. (using tracking motion)

Or

Do you photograph the frame...so the frame is still. Place the moving image from track two inside the frame...the image is moving but the frame is not. Render and save that video. Take that same video of still frame and moving photograph and place it on desired track of the intended video...chroma key out anything that isn't the frame or the photograph...and move the whole thing together in tracking motion...?

I hope this makes sense. I am crossed eyed with it.

How fast do you want the photos to be moving? If you want the viewer to clearly see what is in each picture, then maybe you should have each photo take up about 8 frames each, and see how that looks.

How fast do you want the photos to be moving? If you want the viewer to clearly see what is in each picture, then maybe you should have each photo take up about 8 frames each, and see how that looks.

I am going to fool around with it again today. I want it to be slow enough to see moving photos inside...

The second approach is correct. Take a high-res still image of frame, mask the inside and outside carefully in photoshop. Bring that into after effects (that's what I'm familiar with, approach should be similar for other apps) and create a new composition with the frame on the top layer and the video inside the frame positioned below it. No need to render at this point - drop that composition as a layer in a new composition, add your desired background, and animate the frame composition to move appropriately over that background.

You can also do it in AE without subcomps by simply dropping the frame, video, and background layers into a new comp. Position them all appropriately, make the frame the parent of the video playing inside of it, then animate the frame and the child layer will follow.

Back