• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

moving camera with Chroma key

I'd like to have a moving camera in a greenscreen shot, which means the background plate also has to move. I don't think Vegas can do it, I think I need after effects.

I have an old version, 5 I think, that I've never used, can the older version track a background in chroma keying?

Also what is the rule of thumb for doing the tracking marks on the screen? Color? size? spacing?

From my experience, basically anything your eyes can distinguish, After Effect can distinguish. That means a green marker the size of a coin that's only a few shades darker or lighter than the screen itself would be sufficient.

As for if AE 5 can do it. Motion tracking was introduced in AE3, so AE 5 can definitely track. But as my experience with AE is only from AE 7, CS3 and CS4. I can't say for certain how well AE 5 can do it.

Oh and i just remembered... Typically, I (and most people) use a plugin called Keylight for keying greenscreen shots. It's a plugin that comes with CS3 and later. Personally, i think it would be a pain for you to try keying a green-screen with AE 5...

for true match moving (thats whats this is called) you need something like syntheyes or bojou
to track your real world. Lots of markers etc are needed. However, those programs work amazingly well, though your going to need to practice practice practice..

This will get you 3d data and camera solves that you can then import into a 3d application and create your virtual world. You can use this camera info in after effects too.

google for "syntheyes blender after effects"

Last edited:
for true match moving (thats whats this is called) you need something like syntheyes or bojou
to track your real world. Lots of markers etc are needed. However, those programs work amazingly well, though your going to need to practice practice practice..

This will get you 3d data and camera solves that you can then import into a 3d application and create your virtual world. You can use this camera info in after effects too.
google for "syntheyes blender after effects"

Gulp...
:huh:

Alternatively, CAMERATRACKER is a plugin for AE which allows you to do everything you need right in After effect, i believe it's the cheapest 3D tracker out there, but you don't have to take my word for it.

Depending on the camera move, a 2d BG should be just fine.

Planar tracking might be easier than point tracking or camera tracking. Starting with CS4, After effects includes mocha for planar tracking.

Back