Motivation for NoBudget Film Crew

I've switched gears. Someone i know is producing a documentary and has asked me to direct... I've never done a doc. and don't know the first thing about it... But of course i didn't tell him that- So any tips for that vain would be nice.

My thoughts on this (and please excuse any repition from others). I know the film has now folded but I think this is an important thread....

We shot Left for Dead over 18 months and our lead actors never once lost motivation, even though we never paid them or their expenses at the time. This is the way it was because we couldnt do anything else with it. But when they were at cannes a year later, watching their film in a room with sales people and seeing posters plastered everywhere they thanked us for the oprotunity we had given them.

1. Make them believe in the film. without that you might as well not bother. Make sure they know your aspirations, desires and wan't for the film. And make them /show them what you intend to do with it.

2. Be fair. Don't expect 16 hour days, no money and crap food. Treat people well and be nice with them on set. Shouting at a badly paid, badly fed actor in ac old room will prob get you punched or at least your actor walking out.

3. Get them listed on the IMDB with your film. That can help alot...

4. Non-Union actors who want to becomes union affiliated will often appricate letters detailing what they did on the film to help them get the accredition.

5. Press. Get there images & names in the papers (lcoal), film mags and across the web. All these thinsg will help with moral.

6. Give them good credits and make sure you ahev a contract detailing what they will get if the film amkes money. Again this helps no end.

7. Make it fun. have nights out, make the team bond and become friends because that will help no end.

Hope this helps...

I'd like to add this: A good, positive and pleasant attitude from those in charge is important. Everthing begins and ends with the director and those close to him/her on set. They set the tone for everyone. Respect each other and thank each other, acknowledge all accomplishments and tasks performed both big and small, laugh a lot, and stay on schedule if you can.

I agree with all that has been said. However, from what i've experienced I still feel it's best to keep no-budget films as short as possible -unless- somehow you know 'for sure' that all your actors will remain comitted for the duration of the shooting. And not only comitted, but they need to not move too! :)

Yeah bad luck on not getting it finished.. seems you learnt some good lessons and then can pass them on to others so thats always a plus! And now you have moved on.

Just an aside to the original thread. One thing I like to do is after a sequence of takes on a scene (when I think I have the shots I need) is gather everyone around the monitor, run through the takes, get thier feedback. They really feel invested. At one time I was suprised on a late day that everyone wanted to redo the final scene for the day.... which meant an extra hour, they pretty much chose to do it and I didnt need to ask. When they nailed it, everyone was pumped at the end of that day... they all showed up early the next morning - NO PAY.

One thing I like to do is after a sequence of takes on a scene (when I think I have the shots I need) is gather everyone around the monitor, run through the takes, get thier feedback.

I think you have to be careful with this, because seeing the rushes can make actors self conscious in their performances, simply because it takes them away from creating the character and focusses them on how they look.

Also the other issue is people having a say. Not being a dictator but I prefer as feweer people with input as possible, it can cloud the vision and lead to arguements. That said every now and then on a really good take we may let the actors watch it back. Also on a more base level it can take a lot of extra time...

Also the other issue is people having a say. Not being a dictator but I prefer as feweer people with input as possible, it can cloud the vision and lead to arguements. That said every now and then on a really good take we may let the actors watch it back. Also on a more base level it can take a lot of extra time...

I totally agree with you there, Phil. The director has to be the "Big Dog" on set, because film making by committee almost never works. The rule on my set is all creative input goes through the director -- that means people can come to me with their ideas, but I have the final say of whether it is used or not.

The only difference is, I AM a dictator! LOL

The other thing that I discourage is cast and crew watching the monitor over my shoulder during takes. There are two reasons for this:

1) If I've got an actor that needs careful handling, I will carefully control what information they get about their performance -- if you've got someone looking over your shoulder, you only need them to say the wrong thing to that actor over lunch (ie. actor asks how the scene went and the person says "You looked a little nervous to me") -- that kind of indirect directing can really do lots of damage.
and
2) I don't like people looking over my shoulder - LOL

Ha!!!! It's such a balancing point doing a film with no money. To be honest even with money all the sames rules apply, the main difference being you can shout at the pricks and they cant walk off.... that makes one hell of a difference.

To be honest even with money all the sames rules apply

Sure. My core philosophy is that there should be no difference -- if only because if you can't pay, then giving people a professional experience is the best thing you can give them -- I honestly believe that anyone who starts their career working on set with me, would slot in comfortably to any paid, industry crew.

Sorry maybe I should have been clearer in my post: The original post was referring to CREW and so was I. I only allow crew to give feedback on shots, the actors I let worrying about acting and character input is all I need to discuss with them but thats a whole other subject.

Personally, I like to do everything myself while shooting. I don't like to have a 'crew', but needed one recently while shooting Bad Cat 5.

I emailed my friend Ross and asked for his help. Without a moment of consideration, he said YES! and we set up for that weekend. He also helped me tweak the script.

I still experience a lot of pain with my cancer and just couldn't do it alone. Its a good feeling that I have friends who will help me without asking for a thing in return (no pizza, no beer). I should have finished all the photography for BC5 by now, but I haven't had the strength to get up and finish it.

I've learned that sometimes you really do need a crew, I can't be a one man operation forever. I'm grateful for those who I consider friends, they are truly rare and I couldn't pay enough for that kind of help.

BC5 is hopefully coming soon. :pop:

Back