• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Monitor for editing, grading etc.

Hey world!

So I've started to really get into SpeedGrade, and am loving the power of a good grading software. The most recent question that has come to be for me is my monitor. I have my machine hooked to a Panasonic 32" screen to edit, and it starting to dawn on me that the colors on that might be super off and that there's no real way to calibrate it to be sure that what I'm doing is going to play just like that.

Am I right to be concerned about grading films on a screen like this? Also, do you guys know if there's a wallet-friendly way of getting a decent broadcast monitor setup to edit. I always weighed the screen size while editing, now I feel like color accuracy should be a super important factor.

I might just be needlessly concerned. Maybe you guys could weigh in? Thanks a million!

Yes you're definitely right to be concerned!
Your effects might look terrible on a different TV or monitor if it's not calibrated.

Also simple things like.. having the room be dark vs in the daylight.
If your conditions change from day to day as you grade, so will your perception.

Thanks so much you guys! This is entirely new terrain to me. I've done a fair amount of filming and editing before, but never quite figured how heavily it could backfire with the monitor not calibrated just right.

Back