• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Monitor for Actor to watch himself

Newbie odd question.. I shoot music videos These are very simple 1 person, single shot videos with a white bacground. The "singer" asked that I set up an external monitor so she could watch herself as she is being taped...which I did. The problem is that everything in the monitor is opposite because it's not mirrored. Does anyone have a way to mirror the image in the monitor. It's not an option on the camera nor the actual monitor. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks!

because that is what happens when you point a monitor outward so the "actor" can see themselves. If you look at it from the "behind the camera" perspective, it's normal. Turn it around and everything is oppsite.

There are probably monitors that allow for horizontal flipping. My question though, is why is this a good idea at all? Wouldn't they be too overly concerned with watching themselves that it'll hose up their performance in the first place?

Personally, I'd probably tell them 'no' :)

I'm with Will on this one. It's fine to show them the playback if you want to make them aware of something, but looking into a monitor during a performance, is it really going to work well? Isn't it better to direct the actors instead?

It is not recommended showing actors themselves on monitors or film until the final cut.

What the studios and big independent producers do instead is show them "Stand-in" actors who are actors who look and dress as the actor in front of the camera because of actor vanity.

For small budget films, have a crew member stand in for the actor, or even a production assistant.

I can image how this will play out.

DIRECTOR: Are we ready to shoot?

The actor looks directly into the monitor.

DIRECTOR (CONT'D): Are we ready to shoot.

ACTOR: WAIT A SECOND!

The actor continues to look the mirror, fixing her hair and some makeup around her ear.

DIRECTOR: Are we ready?

ACTOR: Sure.

The director gets everyone together, then they begin filming.

DIRECTOR: Whenever you're ready.

The actor stands there nervously. Right before she speaks, she begins to look into the monitor and mumble.

DIRECTOR: CUT!

ACTOR: What? That take was perfect.

DIRECTOR: No, you kept looking at the monitor.

ACTOR: Well, I have to make sure I look good.

DIRECTOR: What?

ACTOR: I want to make sure every time I move, I still look good! Also, I don't like the lighting on my face. We need to change it.

The actor walks over to the lighting equipment, and beings moving around the equipment.

DIRECTOR: DON'T TOUCH THAT!

A light falls down.

ACTOR: LOOK WHAT YOU DID!

DIRECTOR: I didn't do that! Look, just.... Jesus!

ACTOR: Let's get back to filming.

DIRECTOR: Ok.

The actor walks back, and filming continues. We slowly dolly in as she gets ready to speak, then she looks into the monitor.

ACTOR: Does my lipstick look okay?

DIRECTOR: CUT!!!

ACTOR: What?

DIRECTOR: We're filming.

ACTOR: You know what the problem is?

DIRECTOR: Yes, we should get rid of it immediately.

ACTOR: I know, the guy who did my makeup did a terrible job. Fire him.

DIRECTOR: No, the monitor!

ACTOR: I need that.

DIRECTOR: WHY?

ACTOR: Uhh.... I'll quit.

DIRECTOR: We had a legal agreement!

ACTOR: Ok. Fair enough. But can I wear headphones to make sure I sound okay too?

DIRECTOR: Seriously?

ACTOR: I'll quit.

DIRECTOR: You ca-

ACTOR: I want two monitors.

DIRECTOR: What?

ACTOR: I want to see myself from two different angles.

DIRECTOR: We don't even have two different cameras!

ACTOR: Irrelevant.

DIRECTOR: Bu-

DIRECTOR: You can't d-

DIRECTOR: Look! LISTEN! No monitors. No headphones. No firing the makeup guy. None of that. You're going to do what you're supposed to do and that's not up for debate.

The actor stares at the director, then runs through the nearest studio window. She breaks through the glass, falling to the concrete ground, then running away into the horizon.

CREW MEMBER #1: Did she just-

DIRECTOR: Yeah. That just happened.

CREW MEMBER #1: Wrap party?

Back